Grrrrrrrl power

Knowledgeable music fans have got to be irked by the undeserved praise directed at the newest wave of young female “singer-songwriters” hitting the alternative airwaves and “TRL” circuit. Sure, those tunes are irritatingly catchy, but one might find oneself drowning in an ocean of impossibility, trying to recover any sort of musicianship or meaningful expression contained within the musical stylings of Vanessa Carlton, Avril Lavigne or Michelle Branch.

Fortunately, though, a soothing remedy has come in the form of Ani DiFranco’s newest live double-CD So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter.

DiFranco’s album, the follow-up to last year’s highly acclaimed Revelling/Reckoning, enthralls the listener with over two hours of recorded hits collected from her decade-long career, infused with new passion, wisdom and the feverish tenacity of dozens of live shows only Ani can deliver.

The interplay between artist and audience is electrifying and captures the essence of how Ani’s musical effects, from her band’s most clamorous jamming to those intimate, quiet moments felt but barely heard. Ani’s dizzying and at once startling gift for melody truly shines with the backdrop of her six-piece band, adding even more complex layers of jazz and funk to her folk-rock songwriting.

She throws in a couple new tunes, plus an absolutely fearless and keenly intelligent poem called “Self Evident” that examines the reality of global politics in a post-9/11 environment. Ani is a force of nature in her enthusiasm for performing.

So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter captures Ani’s maturation and growth as an artist, as she brings new life to the best of her repertoire. This album, a collection of favorites in a history of live shows, shows her taking more risks and letting her voice run free, whether she’s soaring on high notes in hoarse rock-star fashion or talk-singing her poetry in stunning percussive undulations of inflection.

She commands audiences with all the strengths of performing with a valiant self-possession, yet she remains honest and acts as a voice for the every-woman without a hint of self-indulgence. She takes listeners on a journey through the range of human emotions, from the deepest depths of anger and alienation to the kind of joy you never thought possible–not in an attempt to please anyone, but to simply share her music and herself.

Since the age of 19, Ani has released 18 albums but has remained ever-loyal to her indie-label Righteous Babe Records, located in her hometown of Buffalo, N.Y. As one of the most brilliant songwriters of her generation, marrying incredible proficiency on the guitar with frank and unapologetic honesty in her poetry, Ani has certainly had many opportunities to attempt mega-corporate success.

Claiming four Grammy nominations to date, she began her career with only her powerful voice and acoustic guitar, later touring with up to six band members on an international level. Ani’s infallible dedication to music could only be matched by her firm commitment to her interest in political and social issues.

Press releases cite that “she has gladly lent her time and talents to such diverse pursuits as opposing the death penalty, upholding women’s reproductive rights, preserving historic buildings in her hometown and promoting queer visibility.”

Ani prefers to build her career on her own terms; as she chooses to share music with her devoted grassroots fan base, she funds her albums without any extra support, garnering critical acclaim with minimal radio airplay. As she put it in one press release, “We’re setting ourselves to that task of trying to create an alternative to the destructive Machine, whether it be the music industry or capitalism [in general.]”

Her voice intrigues us with alluring mystery, while her words speak to us as familiarly as a good friend might. Her emotions and lyricism are accessible to all, yet implore us to open our eyes, think and see reality as it is in front of us.

She melds the personal with the political, as stated in a press release, as “an outspoken feminist who doesn’t run from that particular f-word.” Though she may be under five feet tall, she is a powerhouse on stage, rocking all who look upon her, exuding maximum charisma and boldness of character.
Bringing true renewed respect to the tradition of female musical expression, Ani DiFranco has once again proven she is the ultimate dichotomy and a force to be reckoned with.