The Clipse rap on drugs, Virginia

So Virginia is for lovers, huh? That is how the commonwealth portrays itself in the ads that work to boost the tourism industry in Williamsburg, Jamestown and the shore that is the summer home to busloads of college students and Chesapeake region nine-to-fivers.

However, the Seven Cities have a few year-round residents who would portray their home in a different way than Gov. Allen would like to see.

Grindin’ straight out of Virginia Beach are the city’s two newest surf-and-turf griots, the Clipse. Taking on the daunting task of being the ubiquitous Neptunes’ first real debut group on the Star Trak label with Lord Willin’ (come on, Philly’s Most Wanted crossed the border and never came back), the Clipse emits a tremendous amount of confidence and impressive cadence.

Being surrounded by the Neptunes’ Midas touch can be intimidating, but it appears as if the two have been around the block a few times.

After being released by Elektra a few years back, even while their never-officially-released debut Exclusive Audio Footage was receiving positive press, brothers Malice and Pusha T returned to everyday life in the home of other music superstars Timbaland, Missy Elliot, Teddy Riley and others. Soon the Neptunes blew up with the help of Jay-Z, Noreaga and a Who’s Who of hip-hop/R&B, and that is all she wrote.

Making their mark up at Viacom earlier this year as their first single, “Grindin’,” was in constant rotation on the MTV channels, their stripped-down sound caught the ears of everybody and the lyrics about the laissez-faire capitalism of the illegal pharmaceutical trade all but flew over peoples’ heads. A mix of Neptunes goodies paired with the conflicts of interest the Clipse’s chosen profession brought them makes for a smooth album, complete with braggadocio as well as lyrical brawn.

On the intro to Lord Willin’, Malice raps of the pop-culture influences that pushed them to the lifestyle that leads their personal story: “My momma should have seen it coming / Me running up and down the stairs too quick, humming ‘Miami Vice’ theme music / Calderone made me colder / I see the villain’s impact now that I’m older.” Fresh out of new subject matter quickly after the album gets started, the age-old topics of illegal pastimes and out-of-control nights on the town don’t seem to go stale as easily. Maybe it is Pharrell and Chad, maybe not.

Moving on to “Young Boy,” a throwback track complete with horns and a blaxploitation feel, the Clipse once again admit to pop culture’s influence on their life decisions (“Momma didn’t see it coming / My daddy was there / What’s my excuse? / Cartoons were the root”), but speak in admiration of the personalities they grew up around. With Pharrell Williams doing a decent Rick James impression on the hook, the song is dripping with the flavor he and his partner are known for.

And as no rap album should be without the requisite ode to marijuana, “Gangsta Lean” takes the tired subject and flips it in a manner that will make it seem relatively fresh.

Also, as no rap album should be without numerous guest appearances, Lord Willin’ manages to eschew the mediocrity of celebrity guests that can weigh a potentially great track down. Fabolous, the Lox, Faith Evans, and everybody’s favorite short man, Jermaine Dupri, all make their mark on this ghost Neptunes album.

One reason Lord Willin’ resonates is because the Clipse is from a different part of the country than the larger hip-hop world is used to hearing, but it is hard to deny that without the superproducers they would be able to stand alone. While still sticking to a regional perspective and exhausted topics, the talented players are only made better by their excellent coaches.

On the cryptic “Virginia,” the Brothers Thornton call out their detractors by saying, “Don’t ask me about the Neptunes and what’s their fare,” offering their feelings on the particular issue of contention.

So, Virginia is for lovers? Well, not according to Lord Willin’. An album of strife, boisterous personality, partying and remorse (“It shames me to no end to sell poisoning to those who could very well be my kin / But where there’s demand, someone will supply / So I feed them their needs and at the same time cry / Yes it pains me to see them need this / All of them lost souls and I’m they Jesus,” Mailice raps on “I’m Not You”), it toes the thin line between sensitive and senseless.

Still, with throwaway R&B influences and other unnecessary additives on the album, these beach boys save themselves from the ripping tides that send many hip-hoppers drowning in the Atlantic, not to mention the life preserver that is the Neptunes.