Bjork expecting

LONDON (REUTERS) — Icelandic singer Bjork, one of the most unorthodox figures in pop, is five months pregnant, her London management company said Wednesday.

The former singer of indie-band “The Sugarcubes,” who had a string of solo hits in the 1990s and is renowned for her kooky sense of dress, is expected to give birth to American boyfriend Matthew Barney’s child in September.

A spokeswoman would not say whether the couple already knew the baby’s sex or if they had selected any names.

“We have just spoken to her management in the U.S. and they can confirm that she is five months pregnant,” she told Reuters, adding that no more details would be released.

Bjork, 36, hit headlines around the world in 1996 after attacking a female journalist at an airport in Thailand.

Famed for her eccentric sense of dress, she once turned up at the Oscars in a dress shaped like a swan.

The singer, who has a teenage son named Sindri from her marriage to fellow Sugarcubes member Thor Eldon, started her music career at the age of 11 with a self-titled album of Icelandic folk songs.

She joined The Sugarcubes in 1987, releasing Life’s Too Good in 1988 to widespread critical acclaim.

Four successful albums later, Bjork quit the band to go solo and released her first international album in 1993.

Bjork, who is recording new tracks in the United States, is probably best known for her smash singles “Big Time Sensuality,” “Human Behaviour” and “It’s Oh So Quiet.”

Just last week, the video for “It’s Oh So Quiet” was voted the seventh-best video of all time in a VH1 survey of industry gurus.

In 2000, Bjork tried her hand at acting and won Best Actress at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival for her part as Selma in Lars von Trier’s Palme d’Or-winning “Dancer in the Dark.”

Matthew Barney is best known in the United States as a sculptor and filmmaker.