Shout Outs

Cliff Yablonski

Cliff Yablonski hates you. He hates your mother, your girlfriend and maybe even your dog. Living in the less than cordial confines of Something Awful HQ (www.somethingawful.com), Cliff is that varsity quarterback who reminded you of your supreme wackness for rocking pink hair sophomore year. Except Cliff has a larger forum than the one-on-one hallway taunt. Cliff’s got himself a webpage and fans.

Superficiality has never been so entertaining. Calling the fictitious Appleton City home, Cliff has magnified the misfortunes of thousands in the over 200 pages of ugliness available at the site. There is the horse faced, fast food employee captioned with “these chompers are illegal in 49 states” above a bare-chested teen chastised in Cliff’s sour tone. “A shirtless goth outside during the day? If the sun doesn’t make him catch fire I’m sure my 100 proof whiskey and a book of matches can,” cants Yablonski like he’s gonna towel whip the kid next. Send your photos to [email protected]. You may gain some revenge on that quarterback who happened to mug in drag for a yearbook photo.

— MR

“Better Luck Tomorrow”

This was easily one of the top two or three films that went overlooked at Sundance this year. Until now that is. Late Sunday, MTV Films announced that they had purchased the low budget picture about Asian American high school ruffians for a little under a million bucks. That’s good money for a picture that was shot in three weeks on a struggling film student’s maxed out credit cards.

The signing of “Tomorrow” is a landmark event for the pop peddlers, a move that is certainly going to set them apart from the base “Varsity Blues,” “Orange County” and that film about ants in Jerry O’Connell’s apartment. The film is stylish and breaks ground on the perception/stereotypes of affluent Asian-American teenagers. Director Justin Lin is forward looking, with also a clear reverence to cinema’s canon (most specifically Martin Scorsese.). If this film is released uncut to the sterile MTV audience, controversy will brew. A good thing for the hypesters at 1515.

–MR

Blog of the Week

I have a favor to ask of, well, everybody. When referring to John Walker Lindh, could we please cut the whole “American Taliban” thing right the fuck out? Call him the “American Taliban Volunteer” or the “American Taliban Fighter” or “The Fucking Idiot Who Went and Joined the Taliban” but don’t call him the American Taliban. Why? Because The Taliban was an extremist, genocidal regime that completely decimated an entire beautiful country and culture, brutalized its people, women, children and yes, men alike, and fostered so much hatred and evil that it came right to our feet and destroyed so many more lives thousands and thousands of miles away. And John Walker Lindh? He’s an easily led, no-integrity, foolish little boy. Got it?

[http://www.pazazygeek.com/weblog.html]