Lawrence should stick to stand-up

The cheesiness of time travel in slapstick humor is nothing new. While “Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure” was a fantastically lewd attempt at putting two high-school losers (Keanu Reeves, Alex Winter) in a mega-heavy metal version of medieval history, Martin Lawrence’s version, “Black Knight,” is no less quirky and, believe it or not, is less funny.

Director Gil Junger’s premise for the movie is simply ridiculous, as he throws modern-day medieval theme-park worker Lawrence (“Big Momma’s House”) into a moat at his place of business, makes him grab the gold medallion in the water and watch what happens. Waking up in a river in what he thinks is a rival, cross-town theme-park/miniature golf course, the former star of what was a moderately funny self-titled television show simply plays Jamal Walker, a character not too unlike his TV personality, in 14th Century England.

Quickly acclimating himself into this new world of theme parks, where the castles look frighteningly realistic and the drama-school flunkies never come out of character, Jamal acts as a messenger from far away in an attempt to figure out what kind of diluted world he has entered. Obviously confused as to his real whereabouts, Jamal is quickly accepted into the lives of armored Englishmen, and his football jersey, product-placed Puma basketball shoes, and south-central-Los Angeles swagger and demeanor is rarely questioned.

Believing that Jamal has come to tell the king that the duke who will marry his princess is coming in the near future, the kingdom treats Jamal with the utmost respect and as an honored guest. Introduced to the king’s chamber as “Jamal Skywalker” in a manner that a sports star is introduced in the big game, the dynamic comic is less than impressive as he continues to play a messenger and figure out how to get back to 21st Century L.A. During all of this, Jamal tries to win the love of Victoria (Marsha Thomason), sleeps with the king’s daughter (“Your daughter is a freak!” he exclaims at one point) and teaches a lute-lead orchestra in an interpolation of the Sly and the Family Stone’s classic “Dance to the Music,” all the while helping to combat the evil kingdom.

Filled with decidedly unfunny what-will-he-say-now episodes, “Black Knight” fails on nearly every level with a weak plot, poor acting and a stupid premise. Without a doubt a movie that should not appear on either Junger or Lawrence’s résumé, “Black Knight” appears to be a film that will soon be absent in theatres across the country. If you really want to see it, see it very soon.

Grade: D