Matt’s Shoutouts

Phoons.com

After watching a bit of Sunday’s New York City Marathon, I recalled a time (back a year or so ago) when I actually made a conscious effort to perfect my running form during daily jogs to Picnic Point. One day it would be slumped shoulders. The next, too much weight on the heel. Sloppy form was the bane of my training. If only I had been aware of phoons.com. A phoon is somebody who perfects and then poses in the ideal running stance. Be it on the subway, at the street corner or in the shower, phooning is woven into the fabric of our fitness-obsessed culture with phoons.com serving as the lost Rosetta stone. Clad in a wedding gown, perched in front of the Sydney Opera House and rawking at a Stereolab concert, the archaic website (including, gasp, Java) provides many examples of the trophy-worthy poses. But no Madison representation? This soon will change.

“Ships Pass”

J-Live, arguably the next underground rapper to blow up this side of SUNY-Albany’s Dutch Quad, offers this collegiate-inspired track on the latest Superrappin venture. To be reductive, the piano-backed gem is a sardonic tale of the problems caused by subscribing to freshman-year relationships. With the line “Playing Live 95 trading Charles Smith for Drexler/Pondering with who I’m trying to get next ta,” followed by a nifty reference to five-digit numbers (yeah you know dorm kids, 4-1866), “Ships Pass” captures to essence of a freshman year with few regrets and Helly Hansen.

Blog of the Week

“This whole weekend has been great for me. I went to Jersey on Friday afternoon. While at home I met up with my friends Javier and Mary. After listening to Mary’s Nelly Furtado CD, I had no choice but to take it from her. I`ve listened to some of Nelly`s songs before, but now more than ever I find meaning in her lyrics. When you just want to relax and have total bliss, listen to some of her songs. Javier is so crazy, we all went to his cousin’s party, this guy got mad drunk and started stripping. Oh lord, someone save him, but that was funny. That’s why I choose not to drink anymore, there’s no telling what I will do while intoxicated.”

http://lexsanchez.dot.nu/