Shoutouts: Halloween Style

In honor of the holiday at hand, Shoutouts pulls a trick and appears again on Wednesday. The treat? The same enjoyable content with a Halloween spin.

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups

Easily the best treat in the bag. When sorting out the night’s haul, these heavens in a blaze-orange wrapper were always eaten first, yet a few were put away for later. And who can forget its ingenious ad campaign, even tailoring it to fit the ghoul’s day with Dracula’s teeth marks on its face. Some may argue it is the Peeces or the cookie-crunch version that are the tops. But one bite into the original’s milk chocolate coating with a peanut butter substance (it’s better in that its not the real thing) rising to cushion the teeth, you’ll know the only wrong way to eat a Reese’s is to not eat one at all.

–AR

“Something Wicked This Way Comes”

Forget the Jasons and Freddies — this is an unrecognized horror classic. Based on the king of spooking Ray Bradbury novel, this 1983 flick knocked my socks off and had me sleeping with lights on when I was six ? .and then again last week. Despite today’s technology and SFX, there is still nothing creepier than a diabolical circus, Jason Robards and some eerie green smoke. The cast is actually superb with Jonathen Pryce, Dianne Ladd and even Pam Grier making appearances. The cinematography is autumn at its best — grab a blanket when you watch it. If not for the pictorial chill, then to cover your eyes during the scary parts.

–AR

Jacob Bunge’s Costume

Joking about senseless death tends to be a bit morose for my repertoire. Not the case for straight-from-the-bouteille Bunge. In a true expression of timely wit, this former Arts Etc columnist and current Minneapolis laborer combined his keen knowledge of both music and current events (both surly gleaned through the Vilas Wordsmith Academy) to concoct this past weekend’s garb. Masquerading as a mailman was not enough for the pint-sized Nordsman. Bunge needed a twist and the twist came via his vast metal archive. Anthrax. Yes, the ’80s speed-metal pioneers were protested against on Saturday night. By who? Yes, the one Jacob Bunge dressed as a mailman. Think about it kids.

— MR

Chocolate and Peanut Butter (together forever)

Since its marriage in 1890 when a St Louis doctor invented the latter, milk consumption has never been so brisk. Incurring paltry attempts of union (Butterfinger, Whatchamacallit) divorce has never been a question for the duo. With PBM&Ms’ surprising success coupled with the Reese’s (look up at Roberts’ diatribe) empire peaking as we speak, the combo has never been so tempting.

— MR

Blog of the Week

Halloween really should’ve been postponed this year. The festivities thus far have been total shite and that is of course completely the fault of those fu*kin’ terrorists. But seeing as I’ve done more than enough complaining about them lately, I’ll just leave that alone now.

Instead, I’ll talk about Shaggy. Yes, that bit about “oh carolina” and my mates’ 8-year-long debate over what the frig the chorus says was no joke. And thanks to the website with the lyrics I visited Friday, we have laid one debate to rest but begun a whole new one.

You see, the words “prowl off, jump an prance” are indeed the words in the first version. I don’t know how any of us ignorant deaf fools didn’t hear that a long time ago.

The second version — the one that was on the radio every 10 minutes when the song first came out (in Europe anyway), that one still sounds distinctly (to me anyway) like he’s saying “her ass comes from France”. and my friends still hear “harass gals from France.

Whatever. He’s still talking about France and no one can convince US different. I’ve decided Shaggy is fu*king with our heads. But I still like the song.
[http://madeejit.blogspot.com/]