Jagger, Jackson, Aerosmith to play concert for charity

LOS ANGELES (REUTERS) — Rock ‘n’ roll luminaries including Mick Jagger, Aerosmith and Kiss will perform at an eight-hour concert in Washington, D.C., Oct. 21 to raise funds for victims of the Sept. 11 attacks, organizers said Monday.

Also in the line-up are pop stars Michael Jackson, Ricky Martin and Aaron Carter, soul icons James Brown and Rev. Al Green, and rival boy-bands ‘N Sync and Backstreet Boys, promoter Clear Channel Entertainment said in a statement.

Clear Channel spokeswoman Rachel Gary said about 18 to 20 acts would perform. Additions will be announced when details are confirmed, she said.

The “United We Stand” concert will take place at RFK Stadium, beginning at noon EST. Tickets go on sale Oct. 12. Ticket prices will be announced in a few days, Gary said.

All money raised from will benefit the American Red Cross Relief Fund, the Pentagon Relief Fund and The Salvation Army Relief Fund.

Jagger, who has a solo album due in stores Nov. 13, will have a busy weekend. The day before, he will perform at the “Concert for the Americas” at Madison Square Garden in New York City, another fundraiser. Also on that bill are fellow British rock legends Eric Clapton, Paul McCartney and the Who, as well as James Taylor, Bon Jovi, John Mellencamp, Goo Goo Dolls, Macy Gray and Melissa Etheridge.