LOS ANGELES (REUTERS) — Pop diva Janet Jackson on Monday called off the European leg of her star-crossed “All For You” tour, citing safety concerns in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks on America.
“If anything happened to anyone on this tour, I could never forgive myself,” the singer said in a statement released in London. “Like most people, the events of Sept. 11 have troubled me enormously and I remain concerned about the foreseeable future.”
The statement said the singer had decided the risk to her tour personnel was “too great to proceed comfortably.” Full refunds will be given to fans who bought tickets for the European dates, which were to run from Oct. 31 through Dec. 17.
It was the latest setback for Jackson’s tour, which got off to a late start in July because of problems in shipping stage equipment. She also canceled or rescheduled dates because of flu, emergency dental surgery and a scheduling conflict at Madison Square Garden with a women’s basketball playoff game.
Jackson’s announcement came as U.S. concert promoters struggled to regain their footing three weeks after the hijack bombings of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon forced many of the biggest names in music to put their tours on hold.
The modern rock band Weezer canceled a European swing that had been slated to start next week, but the pop-punk outfit Blink 182 will go ahead with its European tour in November, officials for the bands’ labels told Reuters.