Union South’s Club 770

Not sure what to do tonight? For those of you who don’t already know, here’s a brief introduction to Union South’s Club 770.

Freshman may recall Union South as the building where they attended the SOAR program. Many others know it as “the other Union.”

Whatever the case, for the last few years, Union South’s Club 770 has been host to bands like Archers of Loaf, Sleater-Kinney, The Promise Ring, Burning Airlines, Dismemberment Plan, Boy Sets Fire, Superdrag … just a small sample of all the great bands that have come through Madison to play in the smoke free, booze free environment.

But the real highlight is that for the most part, all of the shows are free. All you have to do is show up and flash your student ID or Union membership. Pretty sweet deal.

Tonight’s lineup is a pretty hot one if you like rock. Opening the show is the melodic hardcore sounds of Austin, Texas’ Recover. Recover recently released a full-length album on Fueled By Ramen Records which reportedly sounds like “Refused meets Jimmy Eat World.”

Scheduled to follow Recover’s set is Richmond, Virginia’s River City High. After releasing two EPs on Big Wheel Recreation and touring relentlessly, River City High has just released their first full-length album “Won’t Turn Down” (mysteriously called “Can’t Turn Down” in the band’s press release). More musically diverse than their previous releases, “Won’t Turn Down” definitely moves away from the pigeonhole classification of pop-punk. River City High is sure to deliver a high-octane performance. And if they get enough requests, the band might just play a cover of Thin Lizzy’s “The Boys Are Back In Town.”

The Impossibles will close out the evening. Also from Austin, the Impossibles have been around for nearly a decade. In the early days, they existed as a ska-punk band. Sooner or later, the world got really sick of ska-punk, which may or may not have been correlated with the band’s breakup in 1998.

In 2000, the Impossibles regrouped, and released the appropriately-titled “Return” on Fueled By Ramen. Their sound was different, and arguably better ? all rock, no ska. They toured the United States with great bands like Ultimate Fakebook and Cadillac Blindside, and found that most of their former fan-base was still intact. Their most recent release is the inventive “4 Song Brick Bomb” EP which, like the band does live, pretty much rocks.

Union South is located at 227 N. Randall Street, right by Camp Randall Stadium. Tonight’s show at Club 770 (Room 140) starts at 9:00 p.m. And bring yer I.D.