Scott or no Scott, Lin predicts a hands-down victory for ‘The Office’

Even as I write this on a Thursday afternoon, I realize that there’s a rather large chance that I’m going to look absolutely silly when this page is printed tomorrow morning. I’m well aware of the fact that the words I’m about to put down on this page could easily be obsolete just hours from now. I’ve been informed that the argument I’m about to make no longer holds. Still, here we go: “The Office” remains the best comedy on Thursday nights.

The reason is simple: Its cast best matches the tone and premise of the show. Phyllis, Oscar, Stanley, Jim, Dwight, Pam, Toby and the rest of the crew feel like people you would see in a real paper company office – if you were shooting an expansive multi-season, highly produced documentary there.

And speaking of highly realistic scenarios, I know verisimilitude isn’t everything to a comedy show. But for a program with an emotional core – as the four in question unquestionably are (well, jury’s out on 30 Rock) – it’s absolutely essential for the audience to relate to the characters. Plus, with apologies to “It’s Always Sunny in Philidelphia,” absurd situations are exponentially more funny if every character involved isn’t already outrageous.

Which brings us to “Parks and Rec.” Explain to me, Sarah, in what world Tom Haverford would be working for the Pawnee government. Actually, start by explaining in what world Tom Haverford even exists. I love Aziz Ansari, but that character is more ridiculous than giving Creed Bratton Pam’s role. Also, this might be mostly personal, but I’ve never been able to get over how poorly CGI’d Ron Swanson’s facial hair is. Honestly, that is just a totally unrealistic mustache.

As for the other shows, well, “30 Rock” has become corporate “Scrubs,” at best. “Community” feels like a show from an alternate-universe Disney Channel that only plays the lost dreams of adults way too old for this shit.

So true, Robert California might come in and completely Spader up the place. “The Office” may well be on it’s way down. But even going down, it’s still the best.

That’s what she said.