Reaching out to PEOPLE across Wisconsin

A cornerstone of the University of Wisconsin's diversity efforts since 1999, the Pre-College Enrichment Opportunity Program for Learning Excellence — also known as PEOPLE — has long been known for helping attract a diverse group of students to the university.

Since its inception more than seven years ago, the PEOPLE program has sought to reach minority high school and middle school students from across Wisconsin and prepare them for college, with the ultimate goal of helping them graduate with a UW degree.

However, according to Jacqueline DeWalt, the newly appointed director PEOPLE, the program does much more than help a diverse group of students succeed at UW — the program's students help UW succeed.

"People sometimes take a narrow view when they look at a program like PEOPLE," DeWalt said. "Yes, the program provides a great opportunity for minority students — but people sometimes fail to see that our scholars enrich the campus by doing community service."

Students in the program work as tutors, mentors and as integral parts of student organizations, DeWalt said.

And the benefits of the PEOPLE program, DeWalt added, are not only limited to the UW campus, but could be seen statewide.

"Not only do our scholar students serve to enrich the university through their service and contributions to student organizations," DeWalt said. "But for our summer programs, we hire teachers from across the state to work with our students and take professor development courses. When they go back to their school to teach, their students will reap the benefits."

With its roots firmly in place at the Milwaukee Public and Madison Metropolitan school districts, the PEOPLE program now includes partnerships with the Menominee Indian, Racine Unified and Waukesha Public school districts, as well as a grade school pre-PEOPLE prep program.

According to Danielle James, elementary and middle school coordinator for PEOPLE, students eligible for the pre-college program must have racial minority status or be economically disadvantaged and carry a minimum of a 2.75 grade point average. She added that reaching students early is crucial, but it is important to make sure they are challenged.

"The philosophy we bring is that we believe that every child can succeed and learn," James said. "And we continue to work with them while they're in the program so we can make sure they are continuing to be challenged and that they're receiving work and enrichment."

Challenging and enriching the students' lives and minds helps them realize they are not out of place in the classroom, according to Harold Baker, PEOPLE's pre-college program manager.

"We want the students to recognize they can compete here [at UW]," Baker said. "We help prepare students to get admitted and complete their higher education, but what I really want to see them do is understand that they can hold their own."

According to Baker, the positive effects of the program and the comprehensive nature of the program set it apart from similar ones.

"When I was applying to work for this program, I did research on other ones across the country," Baker said. "And by far, this is the best, most ambitious program of its kind. I think the PEOPLE program will serve as a national model for similar programs in the future."

And in terms of the future, Baker said the program will look to expand even more.

"Any organization that is successful wants to continue to grow," Baker said. "Our funds allow us to provide the tuition for 100 students for each graduating class. However, we will continue to estimate the costs … and look for ways to allow even more students into the program in the future."