Republicans Mislead on Tax Hikes

As usual, fudging the numbers is the name of the game for Republicans at this RNC this week.

Since they can’t produce jobs (see the upcoming and sure to be disappointing August job numbers) and they know how to rile the base with threats of a tax and spend liberal, Republicans have been reduced to duping the public.

Why? Did you hear that Kerry voted to raise taxes 98 times? It’s in ads and been repeated in speeches on the floor of the convention.

Except, that isn’t really true. Why? Because politicians vote numerous times on the same bills and in many cases vote on a budget measure which doesn’t actually raise taxes.

In this case, the 98 votes that Republicans are touting include six votes on a bill to raise taxes on cigarettes or 16 votes on Clinton’s 1993 deficit reduction bill (which actually worked, unlike the current “cut and spend” policies of these so-called fiscal conservatives).

A full analysis is here.

http://www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docid=247

But hey, you can always count on the ignorance of the American public to lap up any half-truth or fudged fact thrown their way.

Let’s admit it, the Republicans in this convention are smearing, distorting, bending, and mashing up history like I’ve never seen before.

Don’t let them get away with it.