Audio files paint picture of Crandon shootings

The release Thursday of new information about the October shootings in Crandon, Wisc., fleshed out more details of the grisly night. See The Badger Herald’s coverage for more details. View the story here.

On Oct. 7, Crandon?s sheriff?s deputy Tyler Peterson, angry after a confrontation with his ex-girlfriend and six other acquaintances, gunned down the occupants of a Crandon apartment with an assault rifle, killing six and wounding one.

Officials announced Thursday their investigation had concluded, with no charges brought against those who had contact with Peterson that night. Recordings of emergency phone calls obtained by The Badger Herald at a press conference are presented here in their entirety.

In the first recording, a caller who identifies himself as a member of the Forest County Sheriff?s Dept. notifies the sheriff?s dept. in the adjoining Vilas County the ?renegade deputy? has changed vehicles.

Investigators indicated the caller was Peterson himself. Apparently, Peterson was trying to throw police off the trail with false information about the make of truck they’re seeking. At the time of the call ? 5:46 a.m. ? Peterson was likely driving somewhere in Vilas, Oneida, Langlade or Lincoln counties.

?And did he kill someone or he attempt to kill them?? asks the Vilas County operator.

?Six of them,? Peterson says.

?And they?re dead.?

?Yep.?

In the second recording, an operator at the Forest County Sheriff?s Dept. reveals responding officer Greg Carter has been shot at (Peterson wounded at Carter after leaving the apartment where he shot his seven victims) and fields calls from concerned citizens.

Call to Vilas County Sheriff’s Dept.

Calls to Forest County Sheriff’s Dept.

View the photos here.