UMF Coverage: Top three samples of the fest

Electronic music is not for everyone. Some find the persistent beat insipid, others can’t stand the fact that there isn’t always a chorus or any words at all, and some argue that all electronic music sounds the same. To those who argue the last point, I’ll grant that you’re right, to an extent.

Electronic music today is largely based on the remix and the sample. While a good percentage of artists create unique material, a DJ that never samples is rare. Using someone else’s song as the base for a track is standard practice, and a single song can be remixed by countless DJs. While DJs are sometimes commissioned to remix particular songs, other songs just seem to strike DJs’ fancies, getting remixed and sampled over and over.

One song that has been sampled by nearly every non-Top 25 DJ (and some Top 25 DJs as well) is Avicii’s “Levels,” likely for the sole reason that fans seem to flock to it like moths to a flame. But another less likely song that has also been remixed incessantly is Kanye and Jay-Z’s “Niggas in Paris.”

Porter Robinson dropped the track yesterday, the song was in Paper Diamond’s recent set, Zed’s Dead played it this afternoon, Laidback Luke blared it from the Main Stage, and those were just the acts the BH caught playing it.

The hip-hop song seems to have exploded onto the set lists of DJs from all genres, and is paralleled in popularity only by Knife Party’s “Internet Friends,” which was played by Tiesto, Porter Robinson, Datsik, Steve Aoki, and, naturally, Pendulum.

The mystery of just what makes these songs so attractive to DJs remains, but the trends are undeniable, and the top three tracks at Ultra may be no different than the top three tracks at Electric Daisy Carnival or Electric Forest this year.

While we’ll definitely hear “Internet Friends” in Knife Party’s set tomorrow, chances are it won’t be the only time. And though Avicii’s Madonna-studded performance at Ultra is over, it’s guaranteed some strains of “Levels” will be played out tomorrow. And while it’s incredibly unlikely either Jay-Z or Kanye would step foot in an electronic show, their instantly recognizable opening tones will find their way into one set or another.

But the beautiful thing about electronic is that even when songs are repeated, they are never exactly photocopied, but more used as base layers that the song is modeled on. And for every time a song is sampled there are hundreds of other moments where the sound is unique, unexpected, and on its way into the set lists of everyone else.