Truly astounding: T.R.A.M.’s “Lingua Franca”

It’s not every day that a jazz supergroup is created out of two metal bands and a progressive rock band and is signed to extreme metal label Sumerian Records, but that is exactly what jazz newcomer T.R.A.M. are. T.R.A.M. is composed of Tosin Abasi and Javier Reyes of progressive metal/djent group Animals as Leaders on 8-string guitars, Eric Moore of seminal hardcore/thrash metal band Suicidal Tendencies on drums, and former woodwind expert of progressive rock band The Mars Volta, Adrian Terrazas. Thanks to Animals as Leaders’ connections to Sumerian Records, T.R.A.M. was able to release their debut album with excellent promotion from a well-known label that is built on progressive thinking, hence why they fit in as a jazz group on a mostly extreme metal label.

The aforementioned debut, titled “Lingua Franca”, was released February 28, and it is truly astounding. After only two full listens through, it is truly incredible how jazzy these four musicians have made this material. More incredible still is how accessible this album is to just about anyone; it has dissonance, speed and technicality for metal fans, jazz styled music for jazz fans (obviously), and catchiness, excellent songwriting, and depth for fans of music in general. Though the album is almost entirely instrumental, there are female vocals that come in every once in a while, though there are no lyrics and the vocals are extremely subtle. This instrumental approach may turn off listeners who are used to vocals, but this feeling should soon falter to the beauty and skill of the music.

Abasi and Reyes, with their 8-string guitars, give the impression of the existence of a bass, but there aren’t any to be found. They combine perfectly, switching flawlessly and unnoticeably between rhythm and lead guitar, and the guitars are always layered thickly with massive jazz chords and quick, seemingly improvised playing. They share the melodic spotlight with Adrian Terrazas, who performs all woodwind instruments on the album including flute, saxophone, and bass clarinet. His performance is incredible and may be the most virtuosic on the record, which is saying a lot when Tosin Abasi, who may be the most talented guitarist in music today, also plays on the album. Eric Moore holds down the rhythm section with incredible jazzy flair. Listening through the album it is incredible when you realize that Moore didn’t write any of the parts; he simply listened to the tracks (without percussion of course) and improvised over the top of them. Subsequently, the rest of the band took his best takes and put them to pressing. The production (by the band themselves), sometimes considered an extra instrument, is also fitting and allows the listener to hear every aspect of this dense listening experience. Honestly, if there is any fault to the album it is the relatively short length of only thirty minutes; seeing as the band considers the record an EP rather than a full-length album, listeners only have a longer recording to look forward to in the future.

Any fan of music owes it to themselves to pick up this album immediately. As an independent label, Sumerian has released it for the low price of $7. It may be the best $7 this author has spent this winter.

4.5 stars out of 5