Joey Ryan & The Ink releases second, and worthwhile album

I literally sat for about 25 minutes straight trying to figure out this equation, and I think I finally nailed it:  Joey Ryan & The Inks = Matt Costa.  I’ve been listening to “Dennis Lane”, Joey Ryan & The Inks latest album, and cannot get over how similar he sounds to Jack Johnson’s BFF.  Their voices are nearly identical, lyrics equally as insightful, and the accompanying music just as catchy and easy-going.

Matt Costa aside, this album is a joy.  The Minneapolis native’s second album, which dropped this summer, emits a beachy vibe with a vintage feel and modern pop influence.  Sounds like a strange blend, but each song compliments the next.  Imagine the Shins’ style circa 2003 and Vampire Weekend’s layered instruments circa 2008.

My favorite songs off “Dennis Lane” would have to be “Northern Lights”, “The Incredible Mr. Flowers”, and “Fare Thee Well, Poor Ghost”.  “Northern Lights” sounds like a lullaby with its light vocals, flowing guitar plucking, and lyrics referring to sleep and dreams.  “The Incredible Mr. Flowers” is an upbeat ballad that has been stuck in my head for days (but I’m not complaining).  “Fare Thee Well, Poor Ghost” lands as my third favorite because of the catchy intro guitar riff and upbeat build to the chorus. 

This sophomore album is the one to listen to while walking to class, laying on your bed and staring at the ceiling, cruising the internet, and doing homework.  Each song is infectious and easy to sing along to while your roommate is out, all the while pondering the lyrics as they flow in.