Margot and the Nuclear So So’s – FMF review

While the band’s website shows eight people who are proud to call themselves Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s, only two were present at the Forward Music Festival. Despite their drastic lack of band members, Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s definitely added to their fan base Friday night with creative lyrics, fun beats and a foot-tapping, head-nodding, sing-along sound.

From Indianapolis, Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s unique style and mellow tones are enough to convert anyone into a diehard fan. Their music is not a club banging kind of a sound, but are instead soft ballads with quiet and mellow tones.

It is apparent why the band’s catchy tone of instruments and beautiful clear voice of the singer inspired many to jive along and jump around on the dance floor. The audience was stuffed into the High Noon Saloon like an overflowing closet, but that didn’t stop anyone from enjoying themselves.

One of the songs performed was “Skeleton Key.” With only two band members, the violinist and lead singer, this song was by far the most memorable. The violin solos in between totally differentiated themselves from some of the other bands. The violin combined with the lead singer’s fun shouts as well as soft and serene voice made the lyrics in “Skeleton Key” stand out. “I did a horrible thing to that girl/ I bread my misery and drowned it in her/ And she got me high/?And I hardly noticed there were tears in her eyes.”

Just the name Margot and the Nuclear So and So’s is unforgettable. The beautiful and unique violin solos combined with a perfectly smooth voice, the band’s name won’t be the only thing audience members won’t be able to get out of their heads.