Committee takes on Mifflin survey

legaffairs_AH
nLegislative Affairs committee member Samuel Seering said officers should place as much emphasis on students’ perceptions of the annual Mifflin Street Block Party as considering changes in the details of the event. The committee will send out surveys to the student body in the coming weeks with the objective of providing officials with a student perspective.[/media-credit]

Members of student government’s Legislative Affairs Committee weighed the plans for the new St. Paul’s Catholic Center on Library Mall, with some members saying the plan is already too far along for students to provide meaningful feedback.

St. Paul’s presentation plans were revisited to get the feedback from the committee.

Committee members raised concerns that St. Paul’s seemed set in its plans and had only come to the committee as a courtesy, rather than for feedback on the plan.

Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers disagreed, saying committee members could still impact the proposal.

“It is not too late to make a difference,” she said.

Members also said this new reconstruction was too much too soon due to the history of St. Paul’s twice-redone building.

Members also expressed concern about the traffic through Library Mall once the project started, saying they would have liked to
hear more about how St. Paul’s would handle the issue.

Aspects of the project, including a green initiative and sustainability, were also raised in discussion, as well as the observation that the new church plan looked “too
squeezed” in its current location.

Members spoke more positively when referring to the new student organization space and the way in which the church was willing to open
up the new spaces to all students.

Committee members also discussed a campuswide survey on the Mifflin Street Block Party which will be distributed to gauge student opinion to be passed on to city officials.

This survey will ask students about their own experiences and perceptions of the well-known block party to try to gather information
about how to address the event moving forward.

Samuel Seering said the committee needed to focus on changing more than just the logistics of the event.

“It is as important to change the reality of Mifflin as it is to change the perception of Mifflin,” Seering said.

The committee also discussed the Housing Fair for students, which is currently slated for Nov. 17.

In addition, Somers presented ideas from a meeting with Nancy Jensen, director of the Apartment Association of South Central Wisconsin, to discuss methods to encourage students to utilize the resources offered by the event.

The concept for this year’s event would include scratch-off cards for attendees, Somers said, except everyone would be a winner, instead of only one student at the event.

She added it was important to note the idea is still on the drawing table and subject to change by the time the fair rolls
around.

Somers also raised another issue with the fair, the idea of proper advertising the Legislative Affairs Committee does for the event, as well as the committee’s own advertising.

The committee also discussed a Mock Election to be held Nov. 15 at the Memorial Union.