Body of wrestling head coach’s brother found

MADISON, Wis. — The body of Martin Davis, 52, the brother of University of Wisconsin wrestling coach Barry Davis, is believed to have been found Friday afternoon in Coralville, Iowa.

The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office was called to an area in the Coralville Reservoir after an individual in a kayak discovered a body. The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office, working with the Johnson County Medical Examiner’s Office, recovered the body believed to possibly be Davis. An autopsy will be completed on Sunday to positively identify the body.

“It sounds as if my brother’s body has been found,” said Barry Davis. “This will allow closure to this situation for my entire family and it will give us the opportunity to begin moving forward. I want to thank everyone for their love and support during these past few months. I also want to thank the Johnson County Sheriff’s Office for their work and cooperation.”

Martin Davis was last seen on Jan. 3 when he left his home on snowmobile. A snowmobiler’s helmet, believed to belong to Davis, was found in the Coralville Reservoir about two weeks ago.

Davis, who guided the Badgers to a fourth-place NCAA team finish last month, was named national coach of the year in 2009-10. Davis and his family are asking for privacy from public or media inquiries at this time.