Wisconsin to host No. 7 Illinois

The University of Wisconsin wrestling team is set to take on No. 7 Illinois this Sunday at the Field House.

The Illini have five ranked wrestlers, including No. 2 Mike Poeta at 157 pounds, No. 3 Jimmy Kennedy at 133 pounds, No. 10 John Wise at heavyweight, No. 12 Jordan Blanton at 184 pounds and No. 15 Roger Smith-Bergsrud at 165 pounds.

The Badgers also bring five ranked wrestlers — No. 1 Zach Tanelli at 141 pounds, No. 3 Dallas Herbst at 197 pounds, No. 5 Kyle Ruschell at 149 pounds, No. 8 Andrew Howe at 165 pounds and No. 9 Kyle Massey at heavyweight.

Badger wrestlers have not won a dual against Illinois since the 1991-92 season, including a 24-13 Wisconsin loss last season. Even though they are the underdogs, UW head coach Barry Davis hopes their training and improvements have prepared them for the tough dual this weekend.

“If you go by rankings they’re probably favored in the 25, 33, 57, 74, and 84 weight classes, but you can’t go by ranking. That’s why you compete and that’s why you train,” Davis said. “I just make sure the guys are prepared and work on things that need improvement and are able to go out and perform.”

UW senior wrestler Dallas Herbst is vying for his 100th career victory this weekend. After going 2-0 last weekend by pinning both of his opponents to record his 98th and 99th career victories, he continues to stay focused to do what he needs to do to win.

“I’m not doing anything different than just trying to get better in all positions and working with the coaches,” Herbst said. “When you work hard at something and you’re successful it’s always rewarding.”

Herbst has a tough task ahead of him, as he is set to wrestle Patrick Bond. Herbst and Bond have a lot of history competing against each other, and Herbst is looking forward to the opportunity he has to wrestle against him again.

“Illinois is an interesting case for me because I’ve never beat [Bond] in the dual,” Herbst said. “In the last two years he beat me in the dual and I beat him in the Big Ten so it’s going to be a big matchup for me and I’m looking forward to it.”

Although Herbst is facing a tough opponent this weekend, Davis thinks Herbst has the drive and capability to earn victory No. 100 against Illinois.

“I think he can get it done,” Davis said. “Dallas sees it as another opponent, another match. By going for his 100th win it just shows the effort that he has put into his training here and that if you train and do things right you get good results.”

Herbst has learned a great deal over the years. As a senior, he can reflect and let his experience help him in situations on the mat. His experience is reinforced by his performance on the mat and presence in the record books.

“When you come in as a freshman, you’re really anxious just to get going and by the time you’re a senior you slow down and relax and you can get a bigger picture of what you need to do,” Herbst said.

The wrestlers are looking forward to the advantage of wrestling on their mats.

“Anytime you can wrestle at home it’s to your advantage,” Davis said. “The guys can wrestle in front of their home fans and our fans are so supportive that it’s the extra boost that they can use right now.”