Women’s soccer: Badgers looks to ride unbeaten streak momentum into postseason

The Badgers are playing some of their best soccer of the season with the Big Ten tournament around the corner
Jason Chan

The University of Wisconsin women’s soccer team hasn’t lost since September, and with a win over Rutgers University, the Badgers can start the postseason riding a seven-game winning streak.

Now on the cusp of November, Wisconsin’s most recent loss came on the road at the hands of the Indiana University Sept. 25. Since then, the Badgers have gone 3-0-3 against all conference opponents including a tie against then-No. 25 University of Michigan and a victory over then-No. 8 University of Minnesota, both on the road.

This Thursday, Wisconsin (7-4-7, 4-2-4 Big Ten) welcomes another ranked opponent to McClimon Track/Soccer Complex in the Rutgers Scarlet Knights (9-2-6, 4-1-5 Big Ten). Sitting at No. 23 nationally and fourth in the Big Ten standings, Rutgers won’t be an easy closing act for the Badgers. Wisconsin, currently at sixth in the Big Ten, can leap Rutgers in the conference table with a win in the regular season finale.

Rutgers has only lost one game in non-conference play, posting a 5-1-1 record to begin the season before opening their Big Ten schedule. Though, the Scarlett Knights have not performed as well in conference play with a 4-1-5 showing. The five draws make Rutgers the only team in the Big Ten with more ties than Wisconsin’s four.

The Scarlet Knights have amassed an unbeaten streak of their own too. Similar to the Badgers, the Knight haven’t lost since late September, forcing ties in each of their last four games. During this run, Rutgers is averaging one goal per game, but the the Scarlett Knights haven’t scored a goal since their 2-2 draw against Pennsylvania State University Oct. 13.

Wisconsin recorded a few more wins over the same stretch, alternating between a win and a draw for the last six games. The Badgers can thank their defense for the recent success. Since its undefeated streak started, Wisconsin has only allowed two goals. They have also scored only five times in these same six games, with win ending as a 1-0 result.

Women’s soccer: Badgers continue lossless streak with tie to Wolverines, win over Spartans

Wisconsin has been getting by with low scoring efforts lately, but a lone goal in this match might be all they need to end the regular season with a victory.

If momentum exists, it should favor Wisconsin when the ice cold Rutgers offense meets the brick wall that is Badger goalkeeper, Caitlyn Clem. Clem has played every minute so far this season for the Badgers, allowing 0.7 goals per game with eight shutouts with a .803 save percentage.

If Rutgers is going to break out of its scoreless slump, it will most likely be courtesy of senior forward, Madison Tiernan, who leads the team in scoring with eight goals complemented by five assists. Look for the Badgers to double team Tiernan and force the ball away from the team’s offensive star.

Though Rutgers has not won consistently in the last few weeks, their goalkeeper, Alana Jiminez, has kept them in games with her .794 save percentage and eight shutouts.

Wednesday night’s match will serve as the final home game for five Wisconsin seniors, including midfielders Rose Lavelle and Micaela Powers. Look for the veteran duo, who have accounted for seven goals combined on the season, to be a major force in their final game as Badgers.

Women’s soccer: UW says goodbye to five seniors from 2016 class

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m. at the McClimon Track/Soccer Complex with liver coverage available on BTN PLUS.