Missed opportunities lead to Badgers’ downfall

After failing to connect on several key opportunities, the Wisconsin women’s soccer team just couldn’t maintain its winning ways.

Despite a devastating last-minute loss, Wisconsin (5-3-0) saw many promising opportunities in Wednesday night’s game against Central Michigan (6-1-1). The Badgers dominated the outside of the field and created major scoring chances from crosses coming in from the corners.

“I think flighting the ball in is a strength for us,” senior goalie Michele Dalton said. “We just need to get on the end of it more often and finish.”

Keeping the ball and building up to the outside is a prominent approach the Badgers usually take on the field. A key player in this strategy is senior outside midfielder Leigh Williams. With a shot on goal and several crosses into the box, Williams played a strong role in creating many scoring chances during the game.

“Distribution from the middle has been phenomenal, especially the past few games, and their movement off the ball allows me to open a lot more,” Williams said. “We definitely had the opportunities; we just need to work on the execution of them.”

The inability to capitalize on plays inside the box is what ultimately led to UW’s third loss of the season. Opportunities were indeed wasted, as the Badgers largely out-played their opponent in putting up 16 shots to the Chippewa’s nine.

Despite having multiple chances, the Badgers only put one ball in the back of the net.

Putting five goals on the board so far this season – including the lone goal in the home loss – with a team-high 36 shots, senior forward and captain Laurie Nosbusch has led the offense.

In order for Wisconsin to bounce back for the remainder of the season, Nosbusch’s ability to put the ball away – coupled with the offense’s as a whole -needs to be shown on the field.

“You are responsible for your team scoring goals because it’s your job,” Nosbusch said. “As a senior and captain, yeah, I feel responsible.”

Crossing in the ball has been a successful strategy for the team so far this season, as well as in past years.

“Getting around the corner, crosses, headers. Last year I scored a lot of goals that way from great services,” said Nosbusch. “We got around the box but couldn’t get that final pass.”

Going forward, the Badgers will need to take better advantage of the chances they’re creating. One key to finishing these scoring opportunities is making sure there are enough players in the box to get a touch on the ball.

“We need to attack out of the back,” Dalton said. “Our wide defenders need to get forward more and get involved in the attack more.”

Dalton believes that adding more players into the attack, the team will have more people up front, ready to knock the balls in.

Facing with defending co-Big Ten champion Penn State Saturday, opportunities will likely be harder to come by, and the need to finish them will be even more important for Wisconsin.

“We need to take our chance,” Nosbusch said. “Because we know we are not going to get very many.”