Ammerman sisters keeping each other in check

WH_MM
Freshman Brittany Ammerman has already had a huge impact on the Badger offense with four goals and three assists in four games.[/media-credit]

Siblings are notorious for being competitive with each other in basically everything. But not the Ammerman sisters.

Now in her third season, junior Brooke Ammerman has proven to be a huge asset to the Wisconsin women’s hockey team. Freshman forward Brittany Ammerman is suiting up in cardinal and white alongside her sister, showing talent on the ice runs in the family.

Last year Brooke led the team with 38 points and 20 goals and carried a target on her back all season. This year she’s starting out almost where she left off, with four points through four games. But little sister Brittany may be stealing her thunder with four goals and seven points on the season already.

While Brooke may not be the Ammerman scoring the goals right now, she’s still proud of her little sister and is having fun with the experience.

“It’s really fun,” Brooke said. “I’m really happy that she’s doing well and got those goals out of the way so the pressure is off. It’s really fun to play together. We’ve only played together once before. It’s easy to find each other, it’s easy to talk to each other. We’re sisters so we don’t take anything personally, so it’s really fun that way.”

These sisters may be on the same team now, but growing up they didn’t have the opportunity. They both fell in love with hockey and discovered their talent for the sport, but they didn’t want to compare themselves to each other so they made a pact.

“We got pretty good at hockey when we were younger and we made a pact that we wouldn’t compare each other and our family understood that,” Brooke said. “It made it easier for us to play with each other. It’s been pretty fun. It’s always joking. I’m really happy she was able to get those goals and have a great start to her freshman year and her career her.”

There’s no denying it, both of the Ammermans have impressive resumes.

In Brooke’s freshman year Wisconsin claimed its third national title in four years. Brooke put up 54 points with 27 goals that year, opening the door for what is already an impressive college career.

Head coach Mark Johnson noted their achievements and how impressive the sisters are.

“When they were growing up and up until they came here they were good players,” Johnson said of the sisters. “They were able to score goals and score at different levels. Brooke came in her freshman year and obviously showcased that she can put the puck in the net. If you ask her last year probably wasn’t a great year but she still ended up with 20 goals.”

Brittany played with the 2009 U18 World Champion Team USA where she scored the first goal of the gold medal game. Not only does she have a knack for putting the puck in the net, she grew up surrounded by hockey.

“This year Brittany came in with a similar resume,” Johnson said. “When she played for me in the under-18 tournament she scored goals. She’s showing right now in the early part of the season that she can get the puck in the net. If you have that disease as a player it’s a pretty good one to have.”

With impressive resumes in tow, the sisters hope to find themselves and their team fighting for a national title.

But Brittany feels like she wouldn’t have had so much success in her career so far if it weren’t for her older sister leading the way.

“I think it’s great. I mean I couldn’t have done it without her because I’ve learned so much from her and have been able to watch her and play with her,” Brittany said. “We’re competitive on the ice when we go out against each other and work together, but we don’t compare each other ever.”

This isn’t Johnson’s first time coaching sisters. While he has yet to meet Alev and Derya Kelter he coached Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux on the Olympic team last year.

Johnson believes having a sibling in the same sport is helpful and makes things more competitive, and that pushes them and only helps make them better.

“I think it’s helpful in regards if you have a sister playing or a twin sister playing because then you have somebody to hang out with, somebody that can push you, somebody that you can go to the rink with, somebody you can do off ice conditioning with,” Johnson said. “It probably makes it easier to have a sibling that’s close that likes what you like to do so you can push one another.”