Wilkins looks to regroup after 0-3-1 start

After returning from the Washington Tournament last weekend, the UW women’s soccer team finds themselves in a bit of a tough spot after failing to claim their first victory on the season.

Following loses to No. 3 UCLA and Cincinnati, Wisconsin (0-3-1) traveled to Seattle, Wash. where the team fell to No. 4 Portland 2-0 and drew a 1-1 tie against host Washington.

After entering the season with high expectations, the humbled Badgers now find themselves in need of a kickstart to salvage the first third of their season.

“Ideally we are not where I would want to be at this point in the season,” head coach Paula Wilkins said. “Obviously, playing two teams in the top-five was going to be a challenge and I think in the long run this is going to be an important series of games for us in terms of building.”

“The result we got [against Washington], I’m happy with because I thin it’s a step in the right direction.”

Wisconsin will prepare to right itself in time for a two-game homestand against South Dakota State and UW-Milwaukee this upcoming weekend.

Wilkins identifies set pieces as problem

In the wake of the season’s rocky beginning, Wilkins has already identified a main factor behind Wisconsin’s woes: set pieces.

Of the five goals allowed on the year, four have come off of dead balls reentering play.

The root of the problem, says Wilkins, rests on too many fouls committed, an accessory to sloppy second half play.

“One thing is that we’re giving way too many fouls,” she said. “We’re not happy with our play in the second half, in the first half we’ve been fantastic and that kind of leads me to believe that fitness is a problem [and] focus.”

“I think that is the youthfulness of our team and I think the leadership needs to come out in the second half.”

Nosbusch returns

Junior captain Laurie Nosbusch returned to the pitch last weekend against Portland after missing the first two games of the year with a minor injury.

Though she thought Nosbusch was “a little bit rusty” over the weekend, Wilkins expects another week of practice to be enough to help return the Mequon, Wis. native to top shape.

“Being out with an injury, I think kind of set her back,” Wilkins said. “She basically didn’t practice very much before the games this weekend…but at the end of the second overtime against Washington I thought she was very good and her leadership came out.”

“I think a good week of training this week will get her back into the mindset.”

Nosbusch, who led the Badgers in all statistical categories over the last two years, totaled three shots over the weekend, including one on goal.

Williams punches in first goal

Freshman forward Kodee Williams put the Badgers on the board for the first time this season after capitalizing off a deflection against Washington, scoring her first collegiate goal in the process.

Even with the season ending-injury to Paige Adams in the preseason and Nosbusch sidelined for the first two games, Williams managed to become a hazard for opposing defenses and has kept the UW offense threatening.

“Kodee is definitely a bright spot,” Wilkins said. “I think she’s gotten better in each game this season already.”

“What Kodee brings to us is something that both Paige and Laurie lack in terms of athleticism and being able to get behind people with speed and she showed that a little bit on the weekend.”

With the return of Nosbusch to compliment Williams, Wilkins expects the offense to open up even further as the two continue to familiarize with the other’s style of play.