Karel continues to stand out for UW

WBB30_LH
Senior point guard Alyssa Karel is leading the Badgers in scoring, despite playing in only 4 of UW’s 7 games, at 13.8 points per game.[/media-credit]

Wisconsin’s senior guard Alyssa Karel probably doesn’t receive some of the attention that Big Ten Conference Champion football players do. That doesn’t necessarily mean she shouldn’t.

This season, Karel was named to the preseason All-Big Ten team by league media, one year after she was a unanimous second-team All-Big Ten selection who led the Badgers in points, assists, steals, blocks and minutes played. Karel also currently ranks fifth all-time at UW in 3-point field goal percentage, ninth in most 3-point field goals, 18th in points scored, and she just played her 100th game for the Badgers, starting 70 of them.

Off the court, Karel is a finalist for the Lowe’s Senior Class Award. To be eligible to receive the award, a student-athlete must be a NCAA Division I senior and have notable achievements in four categories: community, classroom, character and competition.

One of Karel’s most recognizable character traits, though, is her humility. Despite being one of the top players the Wisconsin women’s basketball program has ever had, it is always team first for Karel.

“I just do whatever I can to help the team win; overall that is my individual goal,” Karel said. “Whether it be scoring, assists or continuing to be a vocal leader as a senior, I just do whatever I can to make the team better.”

One of the things that Karel does to make the Badgers better is her ability to score from mid-range, which has gained admiration from both teammates and coaches.

“Her pull-up, her mid-range jump shot is beautiful, and I would really like to acquire that into my game,” sophomore guard Taylor Wurtz, a talented scorer in her own right, said.

The praise continued to be dished out like mashed potatoes and gravy at last weekend’s Thanksgiving feast by the coaching staff.

“As far as women’s college basketball is concerned, she is by far one of ten female players who are consistently able to get in the lane, mid-range pull-up,” assistant coach Oties Epps said. “I think that is a talent that is lost in our game. It’s either a layup or a three that kids shoot now.”

Another important yet frequently overlooked attribute that Karel possesses is her durability.

Before this season, Karel says she can’t remember ever missing a game at Wisconsin. She was sidelined for the Badgers’ first three games with a knee injury this season, though, and found herself having to watch from the bench. Karel used that time as an opportunity to showcase her leadership skills, helping her teammates by remaining vocal and positive while giving advice on the bench.

“[Karel] has always demonstrated that she is all about the team and always been selfless, and that is the most important thing that I have picked up from her,” Wurtz said.

Making up for her time away from the court, Karel demonstrated her work ethic in the training room. Her first game back against Big 12 opponent Kansas saw her play 42 minutes and lead Wisconsin in scoring with 27 points on 12-of-25 shooting.

Karel’s effort was valiant, but the Badgers still lost in overtime, and the game turned into the second loss of what is now a five-game losing streak. Being the leader and team player that she is, Karel has tried to take a larger share of the responsibility and extra pressure to pull Wisconsin out of its slump. Her teammates recognize the added pressure, and through their respect for her, hope to carry her the way she has tried to carry them.

“I think Alyssa puts a lot of pressure on herself, which she shouldn’t because she needs to play relaxed,” Wurtz said. “That is where we need to step up and help her because this is her senior year, and I want it to be really special for her.”

Athletes like this don’t come along very often, and whether it’s a football star who plays in front of 80,000 fans every week or a women’s basketball player who plays in front of 4,000, it is important for everyone who calls themselves Badger fans to learn what they have before it’s too late.