Hoosiers down Badgers in OT

WBB_Num33_AR
Wisconsin\’s Lin Zastrow\’s 14 points was not enough to help lift the Badgers of the Hoosiers last night at home.[/media-credit]

A little more than a second was all that stood between the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team and their second win in a row.

However, Indiana’s Kim Roberson hit a 3-pointer to send the game into overtime, where the Hoosiers outlasted the Badgers, 67-61.

Three players scored double figures for Indiana with Wisconsin native Jamie Braun leading the way with 20 points, while Amber Jackson and Whitney Thomas chipped in with 15 and 10 points, respectively.

Wisconsin also had three players in double figures with Tara Steinbauer, Teah Gant and Lin Zastrow scoring 17, 16 and 14 points, respectively. Steinbauer was one rebound short of her second double-double

With only 27 seconds left, Rae Lin D’Alie hit one of two free throws to give the Badgers a 53-50 lead. However, Braun was able to find Roberson wide open in the corner and her shot tied the game at 53.

“This game just came down to a few mental breakdowns at the end, and unfortunately, we couldn’t get it done,” Wisconsin coach Lisa Stone said. “We left Roberson to go help on Braun, we couldn’t get back in time and she got the open shot.”

In some instances, coaches will tell their players to deliberately foul at the end of the game to send the opposing team to the free-throw line, preventing them from shooting a 3-pointer. However, Stone chose not to use that approach.

“I think there was too much time left on the clock to let them get an offensive rebound,” Stone said. “Our defense was solid the whole night, so we decided to stay with it.”

In overtime, Indiana outscored the Badgers 14-8 with the key shot coming when Braun hit a deep 3-pointer with 1:42 left.

Indiana didn’t miss from the field in overtime and shot 42.3 percent in the second half to make up for a horrible first-half shooting performance in which they shot only 30.4 percent. Wisconsin also shot well in the second half, making 12-of-24 shots, but were only 3-for-9 in overtime. Free-throw shooting also hurt the Badgers as they were only 10-of -6 for the game, with D’Alie missing one with 27 seconds left that could have sealed the game.

One of the focuses coming into the game was the battle underneath. The matchup of Steinbauer and Zastrow versus Jackson and Thomas was supposed to be the key for each team’s success. The Badgers were able to win in that regard, outrebounding Indiana 39-35 overall and 9-4 on the offensive glass. Wisconsin also outscored Indiana 30-18 in the paint. However, at the end of regulation, Jackson was able to collect an offensive rebound that led to two free throws that pulled the Hoosiers to 52-50.

“Coming into this game, we knew we had our hands full with Thomas and Jackson,” Steinbauer said. “I think we did a good job keeping them off the boards both offensively and defensively, but down the stretch we definitely could have used that one rebound.”

Stone echoed her assessment.

“Whitney Thomas didn’t have an offensive rebound and she leads the conference, so I think we did a really good job,” Stone said.

Both teams also played a relatively clean game as each team had only 13 turnovers apiece. Wisconsin also had 17 assists with D’Alie dishing out five.

Despite the loss, Stone was impressed by her team’s effort.

“It was another tough loss for our players, but I saw a lot of encouraging things out there,” Stone said. “My hat’s off to players, though, because they played their tails off and really worked hard.”

“It’s very hard to forget about a game that was so close,” junior guard Teah Gant said. “We’re a great team, we all support each other, and we just have to make sure we come into practice tomorrow and work hard.”