UW freshman guard feeling right at home

[media-credit name=’GREG DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]WBB_No1_GED[/media-credit]

Having lost four seniors from last year’s squad, including Wisconsin’s all-time leading scorer Jolene Anderson, the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team’s motto has been to spread the ball around and get contributions from everyone, including the four freshmen on the team.

Though all four have already played this season, Jamie Russell has seen a significant amount. Russell, who scored 15 points in an exhibition game against UW-River Falls, has already worked her way into consistent playing time coming off the bench, playing 27 and 25 minutes, respectively, in the Badgers’ first two games against River Falls and at South Dakota State.

Russell, a 5-foot-7 guard out Rock Falls, Ill., averaged 22.3 points and 6.9 rebounds as a senior last year at Rock Hill High School, becoming her school’s career scoring leader in the process. She played on the Illinois Class 3A first team and was a McDonald’s All-American nominee before coming to Madison. The college game is much different than the high school game however, and Russell has adapted well, despite having played only two games.

“When I first came here I knew I would have to work so much harder to get myself prepared for this,” Russell said. “The coaches are working with us anytime they can to get us prepared, so that’s helped. When I got here, I was thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, what did I get myself into?’ But I’ve just been taking it step-by-step and day-by-day.”

Junior point guard Rae Lin D’Alie also sees the improvement in her teammate’s game.

“She’s improved so much since she got here,” D’Alie said of Russell. “She’s put on so much muscle, but she’s been so fast right from the get-go. She’s used her speed very well and has realized when to use it and when to slow down. Her shot has also really come along, and you can see she’s more confident in it.”

But according to the freshman, it’s not her shot or her confidence that gives her the biggest edge on the Kohl Center floor. “Quickness is by far my best strength,” Russell said.

No argument from her captain.

“Quickness is definitely one of her main strengths, on offense and defense,” D’Alie said. “She can beat anybody off the dribble or stick with any ball handler out there. She’s also really smart. She moves really well off the ball, and she’s one of our best slashers and makes really good cuts and knows how to move within the offense.”

Along with her own personal assets, Russell has also had the advantage of being able to learn from experienced guards like D’Alie, junior Teah Gant and sophomore Alyssa Karel.

“Everybody, players and coaches, have been so helpful on and off the court,” Russell said.

“I talk to her before every game,” D’Alie added. “She told me [Monday] night [against South Dakota State] that she had never played in front of that big of a crowd before. I just try to calm her down and help her out on offense and defense.”

Though confident in her current abilities, Russell knows different aspects of her game need work and hopes to keep improving as the season progresses.

“I want to improve on different styles of play that my coaches have been stressing,” Russell said. “I want to learn our defense a lot better and get it down pat by the end of the season.”