Anderson selected 23rd in draft

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]WBB_BC[/media-credit]

Wisconsin’s all-time leading scorer Jolene Anderson will be taking her game to the WNBA next season after being drafted by the Connecticut Sun Wednesday.

Taken in the second round, and 23rd overall, Anderson became the first Badger to be drafted by the league since 2002.

Although 20 girls were present at the draft in Palm Harbor, Fla., Anderson was at home in Port Wing, Wis., spending the day with family and friends, according to the UW Athletic Department.

Anderson will now join a Sun backcourt that includes former Minnesota guard Lindsey Whalen.

Connecticut finished 18-16 last season and was knocked out of the playoffs by Indiana. The Sun had two selections before Anderson in the draft. Amber Holdt was taken with the 9th pick while Ketia Swanier was taken 12th.

Anderson’s 2,112 career points is the most by any Badger, man or woman, and came at the end of a career filled with achievements. The 2008 Big Ten Player of the Year, Anderson was Wisconsin’s leading scorer in all four of her seasons in Madison.

The guard averaged 19.9 points per game this season as Wisconsin finished a disappointing 16-14.

Monday, Anderson accepted the 2008 Frances Pomeroy Naismith National Player of the Year for the nation’s outstanding player under 5-foot-8. She also finished fourth on the Big Ten’s all-time scoring list.

Senior guard Janese Banks, who had also harbored hopes of being selected Wednesday, went undrafted.

Banks had been named third team All-Big Ten after scoring 12.7 points per game in 2007-2008. She finished her career with more than 1,500 total points.