Volleyball: UW sweeps HotelRED tournament, remains undefeated

Badgers dominated Texas A&M, Lipscomb this weekend, bumping record to 7-0
Jason Chan

It was another successful weekend for the University of Wisconsin volleyball team, as they clinched their seventh victory this season in the HotelRED tournament.

The Badgers opened their doors to Lipscomb and Texas A&M Thursday, with three days of play allowing for each team to play each other at least once in the schedule. As the hosts, the Badgers took the first game Thursday night against Lipscomb.

Wisconsin volleyball dominates at K-State invitational

UW’s success Thursday night can largely be attributed to Tionna Williams, who set several personal records after an outstanding performance. Williams tallied 11 blocks and 10 kills, earning her first career double-double.

The Badgers managed to pull away from Lipscomb early in the first set, and that momentum allowed for an equally successful second set. It was in the third set that Lipscomb managed to fight back, keeping the game close in scoring between the two teams, but Wisconsin eventually managed to silence the Bison.

Friday night was a night off for the Badger, as both visiting teams took on one another at the Fieldhouse. Texas A&M walked away Friday night with a win, defeating the Bison three sets to one.

Volleyball: Team remains strong despite losing best players from previous year

Saturday night’s final matchup pitted the Aggies and the Badgers against each other. Even though the Badgers were a little rusty from their day off, they still managed to outplay the Aggies from the beginning.

Fans were also in for a surprise when Lauryn Gillis came back on the court to play with her teammates. Gillis has been out for a majority of this young season, still recovering from an ankle injury she acquired from last year

While Gillis might have only played a fraction of the game, it was a great look into just how dominant this team could be when they are all playing. Gillis and her fellow Badgers earned yet another three-set sweep, their seventh of the season.

Wisconsin has performed outstandingly well this non-conference season, with the Badgers never giving a single set to any of their opponents. With as much success as they’ve had during non-conference play, good things are sure to come to the Badgers once they begin Big Ten play.

The Badgers will wrap up their final non-conference game of the regular season next weekend when they host the Badger Classic tournament at the UW Fieldhouse. Wisconsin will welcome Marquette and Southern Mississippi to Madison in what is sure to be an exciting weekend tournament.