Volleyball sees freshman trio growing fast

VB_ZLvillinois
Ellen Chapman has started in all 18 games for the Badgers this season. The 6-foot-5 freshman has led the team in kills three different times and averaging 2.29 per set.[/media-credit]

For the past few years, “big threes” have popped up all over sports, including the Wisconsin women’s volleyball team.

The addition of freshmen Ellen Chapman, Courtney Thomas and Crystal Graff has shown tremendous potential in the early part of the 2011-12 season. Each of the three Badgers have already put up stats that will go in the record book, including a triple-double from the 6-foot Thomas.

The threesome has recently helped the Badgers take down two ranked teams, No. 24 Ohio State and No. 18 Michigan, in conference play, boosting Wisconsin’s record to 11-7 overall and 3-3 in the Big Ten. All three freshmen have worked their way into the starting line up by consistently leading the team in kills and assists.

Graff, a Madison native, came into this season with slightly more experience than her freshmen teammates. Graff graduated early from La Follette High School and joined the Wisconsin volleyball team in January 2011.

“It helped a lot. It made me more comfortable with the team on and off the court, which helps when you come into pressure situations,” Graff said. “You know that they are there for you. You know the personalities of everyone and what to expect from them.”

Graff’s potential was confirmed from the start when she averaged 2.1 kills per set in her debut match and showed her versatility by scoring several times from the back row. Graff is an outside hitter, so her home is at the net, and she has been the kill leader for the Badgers in eight matches.

However, her early start allowed her to become acclimated to the defensive half of the court.

“I got into the role of six-rotation player, so now I am more used to doing that,” Graff said. “I’m also more used to passing in the back row. It definitely helped a lot.”

Graff’s defensive abilities have not been limited to her 2.42 digs per set. She is an avid blocker for Wisconsin, recording a career-high six blocks at Michigan, three of which were solo.

Thomas has also been able to showcase her ability to be a utility player as she has served as both a setter and right side hitter for the Badgers. The DeKalb, Ill., native’s most impressive display of versatility occurred when she earned her first career triple-double against Michigan State.

Thomas finished the match with 16 kills, 26 assists and 15 digs, as she became the fourth Badger in history to achieve such a statistic.

“I just play hard,” Thomas said. “It’s not like I come in saying, ‘I’m going to get a triple-double;’ I just go out there and play.”

Thomas did not have the same privilege that Graff had of getting an early start with the Badgers. However, she has found herself in a comfortable role and has been able to easily make the transition from high school to college volleyball.

“I came in kind of quiet, but my coaches have talked to me about becoming more of a leader,” Thomas said. “I have definitely changed from the beginning of the year until now.”

Graff, on the other hand, admitted that she has not yet found her voice as a leader.

“Maybe I am a leader by example,” Graff said. “When we play really well, I am always there for the team. I always like to be the person we can count on if we need to put a ball down. But a vocal leader, I am not quite there yet. I am still a freshman.”

Chapman, another young talent out of Illinois, has proven to be a powerhouse at the net for Wisconsin this season. The 6-foot-5 freshman has led the Badgers in kills three times this season and averages 2.29 per set.

Chapman and Thomas have started in all 18 matches so far, while Graff has accumulated 16 starts. Both Graff and Thomas agreed that they work well with their freshmen teammates.

“It’s such a different feel because in the spring, I was the youngest one,” Graff said. “It’s cool to have people my same age playing with me now.”

“I love it and I love playing with them,” Thomas said. “We have three more years together, so we will be pretty good in the future.”

The three have helped Wisconsin get off to a much stronger start this year. The 3-3 Badgers were 0-6 at this point last season. With the help of its new additions, Wisconsin conquered No. 18 Michigan, which goes in the books as the Badger’s highest-ranking win since 2009.

“I think we have a really great team with a lot of potential and a lot of talent,” Graff said. “We have to come together and play consistently with that. We have shown that we can stick with the best. We just have to play consistently and keep racking up the wins.”