Men’s Soccer: Badgers take on in-state rival Green Bay

UW looks to notch first home win of season

In the third and final game of a three-game home stretch, the Wisconsin men’s soccer team looks to finally secure a home victory as they take on the Phoenix of UW-Green Bay.

The Badgers (2-6-0 overall, 1-1-0 Big Ten) come into the match having lost back-to-back home decisions to SIU-Edwardsville 2-0 and Maryland 4-1, but are hoping to turn things around against a struggling Green Bay team.

Men’s soccer: Terrapins’ offensive explosion sinks Badgers

This trip to Madison is the conclusion of a six-game road stretch for the Phoenix (1-5-2 overall, 0-1-1 Horizon League). UW-Green Bay has yet to score a goal on the road, while only scoring two for the entire season thus far.

The game is the 38th meeting between the two sides, but Wisconsin has won the previous two encounters, leaving the all-time series tied at 18-18-1.

Kickoff is slated for Wednesday at 7 p.m. at the McClimon Soccer Complex.

Wisconsin’s Key to Victory: Control the midfield

The Terps dominated the Badgers in the middle third of the field Sunday against Maryland, which ultimately cost UW dearly, shelling out four goals — the most they’ve conceded in a game this season.

Players like Alex Masbruch, Drew Conner and Brian Hail have to command the middle of the pitch, create opportunities for the attacking players and shield the back line. This likely will not be an easy task by any means, but if they can gain traction in the midfield, the Badgers should be able to snag that elusive home victory.

UW-Green Bay Player to Watch: Audi Jepson

The junior midfielder currently leads the Phoenix with four points on the season. Jepson is the only player to score for UW-Green Bay this season, with both of his and the team’s two goals coming at home. He’s the team’s main attacking threat, so expect the Phoenix to try to get the ball to the feet of their midfield playmaker.