UW loses late lead after penalty kick ties match

[media-credit name=’GREG DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]MS_No7_GED[/media-credit]

Although a draw is always frustrating to watch for fans, Saturday’s game against Michigan was even tougher to swallow for the Wisconsin men’s soccer team.

The game had appeared to be in the bag for Wisconsin, after holding onto a lead for 52 minutes, but Michigan’s Michael Holoday scored on a penalty kick with 24 seconds left to tie the game up at a goal apiece.

The Badgers’ goal came in the 28th minute from senior midfielder Kenny Dix. After senior defenseman Zach Lambo’s corner kick from the right side curved toward striker Scott Lorenz, the Badgers were in prime position to score. But Lorenz’s kick was blocked by the Michigan defense, and the ball came back to a perfectly positioned Dix at the 18-yard box.

“Zach played a really good ball on the corner kick,” Dix said. “It deflected across the box it was a slow roller so I felt pretty confident hitting it.”

Unable to clear the ball and out of position from the block on Lorenz, Dix had an open shot at Wolverine goalie Patrick Sperry. Dix’s strike to the left corner of the goal flew by a diving Sperry, giving the Badgers their first lead in a game in over two weeks.

“As a senior he’s done a great job in his leadership,” head coach Jeff Rohrman said. “We know he’s got a great shot and he took it well.”

For almost the next hour of play, each team had their chances to score, but were unable to capitalize. On Michigan’s free kicks, the Badgers were able to clear it before a shot was taken or junior goalie Alex Horwath was there for one of his six saves. Michigan’s best chance actually came on a Wisconsin error. Miscommunication between Horwath and senior defenseman Andy Miller nearly cost them a goal. On a ball rolling towards the right corner of the 18-yard box, both Miller and Horwath chased the ball down. As both players closed in on the ball, Miller kicked it back to the goal, unaware of Horwath’s actual position on the field. Fortunately for the Badgers, the ball bounced off the post and Wisconsin held onto their one goal lead.

Although the Badgers outshot the Wolverines in the second half, the end of the game was dominated by Michigan. After controlling the ball for the majority of the last five minutes of regulation, the Wolverines were able to put Wisconsin on the defensive.

“As I told the guys, I thought we played well until maybe the last five minutes of the game,” Rohrman said. “I thought we were panicking a little bit and really not doing some of the things we need to close the games out.”

Their aggressive play was rewarded when Miller was charged with tripping Holoday as he was racing toward the goal. “In my opinion, if I was the ref I don’t think you can make that call,” Dix said. “Everyone’s just giving it their all; it’s just a tough call to make.” Holoday took the most of his opportunity, nailing his shot in the top left corner past Horwath.

In the overtime periods, Wisconsin was unable to muster any serious scoring chances. The Wolverines, however, had an excellent scoring chance in the second overtime. After Michigan made a cross-field pass by the Wisconsin defense, Horwath was forced to make a diving stop to keep the Wolverines from a close shot. Dix said Michigan’s late surge was not due to fatigue on the part of Wisconsin, but unfortunate breaks.

“We’re just getting a little unlucky, but we’re going to start making it up,” Dix said. “We’re going to get some wins and everything is going to be good.”

Despite being such a tough game to take, the draw only serves as another motivation for their next match against Western Illinois.

“We’re going to come back tomorrow have practice and just try to remember it but also put it in the back of our minds,” Dix said. “Wednesday we’ll be ready to play.”