Spanish star excelling on UW pitch

[media-credit name=’GREG DIXON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]delgado[/media-credit]

The No. 21 UW men’s soccer team has jumped out to one of its best starts in recent years with a 4-1-1 record. Much of its success has come from the leadership and skill of junior midfielder, Pablo Delgado.

Delgado has already earned honors as Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week and Offensive MVP of this year’s Middleton Sports and Fitness Invitational.

Delgado, a native of Madrid, was playing Third Division soccer when he decided to make his move to the States. With his former Spanish teammate, senior forward Victor Diaz, senior forward, at UW, Delgado decided to follow him a year later. Diaz encouraged Delgado to come to Madison, citing its great atmosphere, education and soccer program.

“It’s important to have [a degree] on your back,” Delgado said. “I thought that the best thing would be to get my degree and also to play at a top level.”

But that’s not to say he doesn’t miss home.

“Of course you miss your family, your friends, your bed,” Delgado said. “But the life here is great. I cannot complain.”

Since setting foot on campus, Delgado has gained a lot of confidence, an education and a broader view of the world.

“My mind was opened. I’m open to whatever. I can go anywhere right now,” he said.

Delgado has shined offensively in the beginning of the season, scoring two crucial goals and tallying three assists in his first six starts. He is also fifth in the team in minutes played. Head coach Jeff Rohrman has credited this to his work ethic and his playing in a more offensive position this year.

“He has very good attacking qualities but also a willingness to work on the defensive side,” Rohrman said of his Spanish star. “And we’ve been playing him a little bit closer to the goal this year.”

Delgado credits his success to being fully healthy, after an injury-ridden sophomore year, and the team’s commitment to play together.

“It’s great, I feel good, but what matters is the team,” Delgado said.

Diaz feels the same way.

“There’s great chemistry. Everyone’s working together towards the same goal, and that’s the most important thing,” Diaz said.

Delgado’s contributions not only come from helping his team on the field but off it as well. Being the oldest and most experienced member of the team, Rohrman has referred to him as “the father of the team.”

“He’s a quiet leader,” Rohrman said. “He brings maturity and calmness to the group.”

Rohrman has been very impressed by Pablo’s willingness to soak in all the life at Madison as well.

“The academics, campus life — he’s taking full advantage of it,” Rohrman said. “He brings a real refreshing view.”