Skating from spectators to starters

Wisconsin men’s hockey coach Mike Eaves called forward Tom Gorowsky the poster child for perseverance. When you look at what path the senior from Lino Lakes, Minn., has taken, that title couldn’t be any more fitting.

Gorowsky left Centennial High School with a state title under his belt and was named Minnesota’s “Mr. Hockey” in 2004 before coming to Wisconsin. So for such a decorated high school player, the expectations were naturally high as he entered his collegiate career.

“When I first got here, I thought I was going to play a lot,” Gorowsky said.

But as a freshman, he saw action in just 18 games, finishing the season with only two assists. The lack of ice time was frustrating for the former prep standout.

“I wish I knew what the reason was; I don’t,” Gorowsky said. “It’s just the way it works. I don’t really know why.”

In his sophomore season, he saw a significant increase in playing time, as he played in 33 games and scored 12 points. But as a junior, he skated in even fewer games — just 17 — than he did as a freshman.

During those years, Gorowsky would often travel with the team on road trips. Instead of being on the ice with his teammates, however, he was reduced to watching the game from the press box.

“It’s one of the most frustrating and disappointing things I’ve ever had to go through. You just can’t describe the pain,” Gorowsky said. “You work your butt off. You’re the first guy on the ice, last guy off. You’re doing everything you can and you know you deserve to play, but for whatever reason you don’t get to.”

He knew all he needed was a chance to show to his coaches and teammates he could do it. Now, in his senior year at UW, that chance has finally come.

After not skating in the team’s first four games of this season, an opportunity opened up for Gorowsky to make his way into the lineup. Senior forward Ben Street suffered a major leg injury, and junior Aaron Bendickson has been hampered with a wrist injury that has kept him out of the past three series.

So in stepped Gorowsky, making an impact almost immediately.

Against Minnesota, his first series of the year, he assisted a Podge Turnbull goal in the Badgers’ 2-2 tie with the Gophers. This past Saturday against North Dakota, he scored two goals — including the game-winner — in UW’s 5-2 victory.

“It was really exciting getting the opportunity to play a lot more than I typically do,” Gorowsky said. “It’s been really disappointing and frustrating, but I’ve worked hard and tried to make myself the best player no matter what the circumstance. Luckily, as of late I’ve been getting the opportunity.”

“It was nice to see him all smiles on Saturday, because that’s what this young man wants to do is help his team win, and he was able to do that,” Eaves said.

For many of the past several years, Gorowsky had been playing on the team’s fourth line alongside junior Andy Bohmbach, another Badger who has seen only limited time on the ice. But Eaves was impressed with the way they had been playing together and decided to move them to the top line to start Saturday’s game.

“Me and Gorowsky, we’ve been playing together for the last couple years on the fourth line,” said Bohmbach, who notched a goal in Wisconsin’s second game against Denver. “We’ve got pretty good chemistry and played pretty good Friday night in North Dakota. He decided to move us up and see how it worked.”

“We ended up winning, so that’s pretty good news.”

While the two were eventually moved to different lines Saturday, their strong play together caught the eye of Eaves — and junior captain Blake Geoffrion.

“I’m glad to see those guys have success on the ice and all the hard work pay off,” Geoffrion said.

“I just think we know where each other are,” said Bohmbach, a Hudson native who, like Gorowsky, won a state title in high school. “We’re both the same kind of player. We’re not the fastest guys, but we know the ice pretty well and we know where each other are out there, so that makes pretty good chemistry.”

Despite the newfound success each has had on the ice, the pair has also grown closer due to what they’ve experienced together outside the rink.

“It’s real hard. You practice with them all week. You try to get in the lineup Friday and Saturday night, but if you’re not in, it’s real difficult to watch the game,” Bohmbach said. “You want to be down there so much. At the same time, you’ve got to cheer them on and hopefully win.”

“We’ve had similar circumstances,” Gorowsky added. “We’ve been on the ice a lot after practices, hanging out on the ice and working on our skills, so just through that work ethic and that kind of camaraderie, we’ve developed some synergy on the ice.”

While they may be enjoying the opportunity now that it’s finally come, both Gorowksy and Bohmbach know they’ll have to fight to keep their spots in the lineup.

“There’s been times when I felt like no one’s believed in me but me and my family,” Gorowsky said. “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. … I know I’m a good player. Whether I get an opportunity or not, I believe in myself.”