Men’s basketball: Gard hires Krabbenhoft as assistant coach

UW alum returns to Wisconsin to fill out Badgers’ coaching staff

For the second time since he took over as interim head coach of the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team, Greg Gard has had to make a hire for his coaching staff, and for the second time this season, Gard has hired a Wisconsin alum.

Following the departure of longtime assistant Gary Close from the program, UW announced the hiring of former Wisconsin standout Joe Krabbenhoft to the coaching staff Monday.

Men’s basketball: Longtime assistant Gary Close resigns from staff

Being on the Badger bench as a coach has been something Krabbenhoft has dreamed of since his playing days.

“I am absolutely thrilled and thankful for the opportunity to return to Wisconsin,” Krabbenhoft said in a statement. “It really is a dream come true for me and my family. I’ve had conversations with Coach Gard about becoming a coach ever since my playing days.”

Krabbenhoft played for Wisconsin from 2005-09, appearing in 136 career games and making 70 starts for the Badgers. He was named to the All-Big Ten Freshman Team in 2006 and the All-Big Ten Defensive Team in 2008.

He is also the only player in Wisconsin history to post 750 rebounds and 250 assists in a career, and said his time at UW makes this moment extra special.

“It’s an honor to be a part of the program that I played for and to be a part of something so special,” Krabbenhoft said. “It’s also extremely exciting to be a part of a new chapter under Coach Gard. I think the future is so bright for the Badgers and I can’t wait to get started.”

Prior to this coaching stop at Wisconsin, Krabbenhoft served as the video coordinator under Bo Ryan in 2012-13 and had spent the previous three seasons as an assistant coach at South Dakota State, a program that is coming off a Summit League Tournament title and a No. 12 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Gard said that when looking at both Krabbenhoft’s playing and coaching career, he though he would be the perfect fit in terms of how he understands the game of basketball.

“Having known him since his sophomore year of high school, this is the third time I’ve recruited him — as a player, video coordinator and now assistant coach,” Gard said. “He checks all the boxes in terms of knowledge of the program, mind for the game and work ethic that’s second to none.”

Krabbenhoft joins fellow assistant coach Howard Moore as former Wisconsin players to serve on the coaching staff for this upcoming season.