Wisconsin players, coaches react to Greg Gard’s introduction as head coach

Badgers welcome new head coach with open arms
After an impressive stint as interim head coach Greg Gard was hired as the program’s head coach on March 7.

Tuesday marked the beginning of a new era in Wisconsin men’s basketball with the official introduction of Greg Gard as head coach after serving as Bo Ryan’s assistant for 15 years.

Here’s how some of the Badgers in attendance at Tuesday’s press conference reacted to Gard’s big day:

Junior guard Bronson Koenig

On why Gard is such a good fit:

“Just his comfort level with everyone, the players’ comfort level with him and just how he interacts with everyone on a day-to-day basis in practice and film sessions, where you guys don’t necessarily see it.”

On his reaction when he heard the news:

“I was very excited. I wasn’t very surprised, but he’s very deserving of a head coaching job, so I’m very happy for him.”

[Updated] Men’s basketball: Greg Gard officially named new head coach of Wisconsin

Redshirt junior guard Zak Showalter

On being a student athlete who is playing at his dream school and seeing Gard get his dream job:

“I definitely can see what he’s feeling. It’s exciting. This is what I’ve dreamed of my whole career and to be able to do this is a dream come true. I think for him, every school has been kind of a dream come true, but I think this really has been in his mind since the day he’s started coaching and I couldn’t be more happy for him.”

On what Gard means to him:

“I got one year left, but going into the future, I’ll always have his back and he’s always someone I can look up to. It’s exciting for us to know that this program is in good hands.”

Stand Gard: Badgers have found their leader

Junior forward Nigel Hayes

On the similarities between Gard and Ryan:

“He’s an extension of Coach Ryan. He’s known him a long time. They pretty much have the same basketball principles, morals, values and things that they want their teams to do. He’s the same guy, different voice. Of course they have different philosophies and ways about that, but they have the same expectations in terms of what they want on the basketball court.”

Assistant Coach Lamont Paris

On whether there was a sense of relief in the announcement of a head coach:

“We were in the Big Ten race, so you’re not thinking about that. We were in a position where we had improved so much that we really had just dealt so much with developing the guys, developing the team, that it really was an afterthought. Otherwise, you’d go nuts thinking about that every day. Now, the finality of it is here, so there is a sense of excitement without question.”

Assistant Coach Howard Moore:

On why someone like Gard, or anyone, would decide to stick around for so long:

“The people. To have an icon like [Bo Ryan] and Coach [Barry] Alvarez being the leader for all of us and giving us the resources and the support to be successful and put our programs in position where we can be successful coaches, it means a lot. Not every program is fortunate enough to have a guy of his stature to be the athletic director.”

“This place is special because there are people that are here at Wisconsin that care about Wisconsin. It’s not just a job for them. It’s something that is very near and dear, and those are the type of people that Coach Alvarez wants to be around this program.”

Head Football Coach Paul Chryst

On both football and basketball programs having Wisconsin natives as leaders:

“You’re proud and appreciative of it, but if Greg wasn’t from Wisconsin, I’d still be real happy. It’s unique, but I’d be happy of who he is, not where he is from.”