Draft Day: Former Badgers Kaminsky, Dekker selected in first round

Jason Chan

When NBA Commissioner Adam Silver spoke Frank Kaminsky’s and Sam Dekker’s names into the microphone at the Barclays Center during the first round of the NBA Draft in New York Thursday night, he wasn’t just making two life-long dreams come true — he was making history.

For the first time ever, two players from the University of Wisconsin were drafted in the first round of the NBA draft when Kaminsky was selected with the No. 9 overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets and Dekker by the Houston Rockets with the No. 18 overall pick.

Not only was Kaminsky Wisconsin’s first lottery pick since 2004 — when Devin Harris was selected fifth overall — both he and Dekker became the first Wisconsin NBA draft selections since the Milwaukee Bucks selected Jon Leur in the second-round of the 2011 draft with the 40th overall pick.

Kohlbeck: One-and-done wins, but the Wisconsin method is way more fun

The last time UW had a player selected in the first-round was 2007 when Alando Tucker was taken 29th overall by the Phoenix Suns.

Wisconsin junior forward Nigel Hayes took over the university’s official Twitter account during the draft and offered an excited congratulations for his former teammates.

Kaminsky, a 7-1 forward from Lisle, Illinois, was the consensus National Player of the Year, winning all major awards including the Wooden Award. He led the Badgers in every major offensive category including points (18.8), rebounds (8.2), assists (2.64), blocks (57), field goal percentage (54.7) and 3-point percentage (41.6). In the pros, he’s expected to stretch the floor as a big man and help defend on the perimeter.

After a breakout NCAA Tournament as a key cog in the Badgers’ title-game run, Dekker forewent his senior season and declared for the draft. The 6-9 forward from Sheboygan, Wisconsin, will use his athleticism as an NBA swingman.

Two Wisconsin players had been drafted in the same year eight times, the most recent being 1995 when Michael Finley and Rashard Griffith were taken.