Wisconsin holds off Oral Roberts for 6th-straight win

The Wisconsin men’s basketball team improved to 6-0 on Saturday for just the second time in the head coach Bo Ryan era, but Oral Roberts didn’t make it easy.

Wisconsin (6-0) jumped out to a 17-point lead in the first half, but Oral Roberts (2-3) clawed its way back into the game on the back of senior forward Shawn Glover who led all scorers with 24 before falling to the Badgers 76-67.

“They’re just a good team. I give them some credit,” redshirt junior guard Josh Gasser said. “Glover hit some tough shots and made some big plays for them. A guy like that is hard to stop when he’s feeling it.”

After coming into the game against Oral Roberts shooting 48.5 percent beyond the three-point line — good for 6th in the nation — Wisconsin was human from long range Saturday night going 7-23 (30.4 percent).

With the deep ball proving ineffective, the Badgers went inside, scoring 34 points in the paint and shooting 60 percent from inside the three-point arc.

“They call averages, averages for a reason … the percentage we were shooting from three, you know there’s going to be some games where that’s not going to happen,” Ryan said. “We shot enough threes and boy, a couple of them were half way down. We talk about it all the time: Some nights they’re not there so you have to find ways to manufacture points.”

Wisconsin went to its hot hand in junior forward Frank Kaminsky to get the offense going. Kaminsky, for the third time in four games, led the team in scoring with 21 points.

“Our shots are going to fall every game, so it’s nice to have a guy like Frank inside who you can get the ball to and can almost score at will,” Gasser said. “Sometimes when the shots aren’t falling, we’ll call a play to get him the ball in the post and make plays that way.”

Kaminsky sparked Wisconsin offense early, scoring 10 of the Badgers first 16 points and is growing more confident by the game after four straight solid outings.

“I’m go into game trying to start the game off with a bang every single time and try keep it going throughout the entire game,” Kaminsky said. “It’s been working for me recently, so I’m going to keep doing that.”

Gasser and Brust chipped in for 15 and 12 points respectively, and the Badgers had five players in double figures for the third time this season.

Though Wisconsin was balanced offensively, defense was yet again a concern when the clock hit zero, allowing Oral Roberts to 55.1 percent from the field and 53.8 percent from deep — even without its best offensive player in Obi Emegano who injured his knee in a game with St. Louis on Thursday.

“A lot has been put on this week in terms of three games in five days, but at the end of the day there’s no excuses in terms of our defense,” junior guard Traevon Jackson said. “We know what we are capable of doing. We’re playing against teams once conference comes around and these upcoming nonconference games that we have to stop the ball regardless of how much we score. And that’s what we have to hang our hats on if we want to accomplish the goals that we want to accomplish as a team.”

In the final 10 minutes of the game, Oral Roberts shot 47 percent from the floor and cut the lead to within four, but in the end there just wasn’t enough time left for the Golden Eagles to complete the upset.

“Fortunately, we held on long enough that the clock ran out and we were ahead,” Ryan said.