Technically speaking: officiating draws ire from both Ryan, Smith

After Tuesday night, you probably won’t see any members of the Wisconsin men’s basketball team asking you to use your indoor voice at the Kohl Center.

In No. 15 Wisconsin’s (22-8, 11-6) 52-45 win over Minnesota (17-13, 5-12), both UW head coach Bo Ryan and his counterpart, Tubby Smith, were reprimanded by referees with technical fouls following questionable calls that took place during momentum-swinging moments.

And it turns out the Badgers respond well to shouting.

“I think that’s just more of an indirect way of him telling us to get it going and he got the crowd into it too,” guard Jordan Taylor said of Ryan’s technical. “It helped a little bit and helped jump-start us.”

With 3:08 left in the first half, officials handed down the foul on Ryan as UW was amid a field goal drought that began at the 12:34 mark and would continue until a minute and half into the second period.

Wisconsin shot 19 percent in the first half and committed five turnovers. Ryan, along with the Kohl Center audience, wasn’t particularly impressed with the performance on the floor and several decisions by the referees had already drawn the ire of both.

Frequently, Minnesota had been running a full court press during the game and after Andre Hollins hit two free throws for the Gophers, it appeared the team wasn’t in position to run its game plan on the ensuing inbound.

Thinking advantageously, Ryan wanted his team to quickly fire off an inbound pass, but a Minnesota player had picked up the ball and held on to it along the sideline. Intentional or not, it allowed the Gophers to arrange themselves, which infuriated Ryan.

“How can you run your press break when the other team’s standing out-of-bounds with the basketball”? Ryan said.

So he went to the ref: “I said ‘Isn’t that a technical?’ If we don’t get it in, they bring their guys down. Their guys were not ready to press at the time. My feeling was it altered the flow of the game. I had an opinion and evidently I was wrong.”

The ruling energized the Badgers as well as the crowd, which poured out a crescendo of boos. Wisconsin didn’t allow Minnesota to score any more points in that half after Hollins hit the two free throws that came from the technical.

About a minute after the ruling, and down 23-13, the Badgers picked things up and ended a 10-minute scoreless streak with two free throws by forward Ryan Evans, followed by one more by guard Ben Brust to pull within seven.

After the break, Wisconsin continued to steadily chip away at the lead with Taylor and Evans combining for six early points, putting things at 25-22.

Then, forward Mike Bruesewitz drove toward the basket and slipped in a layup despite contact near the rim. Bruesewitz was initially called for a charge, but after the three referees huddled at the top of the key, they reversed the decision and Hollins was called for having a foot in the restricted area instead.

“I thought he was inside the circle; that’s kind of why I went up,” Bruesewitz said of his initial reaction. “I waited for them to hopefully overturn it. That was my third foul; I thought I was going to be sitting on the bench.”

The reversal gave Bruesewitz a chance at a three-point play – which he fulfilled – and minutes later Smith was called for the technical.

“I mean, who knows”? Smith said, when asked about what explanation he was given for the overturned call. “You don’t get one. You got a huddle like that and change the call. You kidding me?

“It’s a joke. It really is.”

Taylor went on to hit the two free throws, which gave UW a 29-27 lead and the Badgers were then given the ball back. Thirty seconds later, Taylor delivered a three-pointer that further leveled the Gophers.

Minnesota failed to immediately answer, and when Wisconsin brought the ball back down the floor Evans hit a jumper that gave UW a 34-29 advantage with 10:42 remaining.

The Badgers cruised from there, outscoring the Gophers 36-22 in the half on 44.4 percent shooting, compared to Minnesota’s 25 percent clip.

As may be expected, Ryan wasn’t as exasperated by the referees’ decision to overturn Bruesewitz’s “charge” as Smith was.

“We got a video at the beginning of the year that said the official that made the call – if he’s not sure – he can go ask another official,” he said.