Nankivil’s career day keeps Boilermakers in reach

MB52_JS
Sophomore forward Keaton Nankivil scored a career high 21 points in Wisconsin\’s 64-63 loss to the Boilermakers at the Kohl Center last night[/media-credit]

With a 64-63 loss to Purdue, the University of Wisconsin basketball team has lost five games in a row for the first time since 1998, when the team dropped its final 11 games in conference.

During the stretch, they have lost back-to-back games in overtime for the first time in the program’s 111-year history, lost twice to Purdue and lost four of the five games by seven or fewer points. In all of their games, they have had leads in the second half but failed to build on them and close out their opponents.

“Shots aren’t falling,” Wisconsin guard Trevon Hughes said. “We are not shooting a good percentage. We need to take better care of the ball. I don’t know; it’s really frustrating. We always have the ball on our side, and we just can’t close it out.”

Closing the game out against Purdue was a problem for the Badgers. With 4:46 left to go in the game, sophomore forward Keaton Nankivil hit a three to give Wisconsin a 56-51 lead. However, with three consecutive 3-point baskets by Purdue’s E’Twaun Moore, Chris Kramer and Robbie Hummel, the Badgers found themselves trying to come back in the waning minutes of the game.

“They were big moments for them, and their players hit them,” Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan said of the three 3-point shots by Purdue. “They stepped off and they made the good read. [E’Twaun] Moore I think was their passer on those. I mean, you have to stop him.”

Until Wisconsin freshman Jordan Taylor, who hit the 3-point shot at the end of the Iowa game to send it into overtime, hit a layup with 22 seconds left in the game to put the Badgers within two, they were held without a field goal for the last 4:24 of the game.

“Some things from our offensive players we are just not getting,” Ryan said. “It is so obvious — it gets frustrating from the standpoint of when do these guys break out, when do they give us something?”

While much of the team did struggle throughout the night, Nankivil stepped up to help keep the Badgers in the game. Going into last night’s contest, Nankivil only hit one 3-point shot the whole year, which came against Marquette. Against Purdue, however, he went 5-5 from three-point range and had a team-high 21 points.

“After the first one [I began feeling it],” Nankivil said. “Usually for me, making one is lucky. But, after losing one game and now five in a row, I think that is the least important thing. We have to figure out a way to get back on track.”

Throughout the game, Nankivil delivered with key 3-point baskets. Down 45-39 with 11:48 left to go in the game, Nankivil hit a three to keep the game from getting away. He hit another one with 8:52 left in the game to tie the game at 49.

“You really like to adjust on the fly when a guy is 1-4 from 3-point range and then hits five 3’s,” Purdue head coach Matt Painter said. We went into the game trying to stop Marcus Landry and Trevon Hughes, but [Nankivil] really put a wrinkle on things for us. We tried to adjust on the fly the way we handled some things. Our guys did a pretty good job, but I thought we really showed a lot of resiliency by stepping up and making 3’s and getting some timely stops there at the end by being able to chase down some loose balls.”

Despite Nankivil’s breakout night and another strong game from Taylor, who logged 22 minutes with six points and three assists, the Badgers continued to struggle down the stretch.

“We know what Keaton can do. On any given night, we probably have five or six guys who can go out and do what Keaton did, and tonight Keaton just happened to be the guy,” Taylor said. “He played big, but when it came down to it, we gave 36 or 32 strong minutes, but we could not close it out at the end. It is just frustrating. We have seniors that have played on two of the best teams in Wisconsin history. I know when I am a senior I would not want to be in this position. It is just frustrating to know that they are in this position. We have to get it together for them and for ourselves.”