Steve Lavin offers insight on career

Lavin_BB
ESPN announcer Steve Lavin discusses his career as a coach and analyst with students at Grainger Hall Monday.[/media-credit]

Last night at Grainger Hall, the University of Wisconsin Sports Business Club hosted former UCLA men’s basketball coach and current ESPN analyst Steve Lavin to speak to UW students about mentoring and preparation, drawing his own experiences into his speech.

Lavin discussed events in his past that led to his current stature at ESPN, citing several coaches — including John Wooden, Gene Keady and Mike Krzyzewski — as his personal mentors who helped him in college basketball. Additionally, he offered words of encouragement for the students in attendance.

He opened by extending his idea of a “50-year plan,” which he said he preached to his players at UCLA, many of whom would not play basketball professionally and had their whole lives ahead of them to make decisions.

“You need that bigger picture in terms of your game plan,” Lavin said. “The way you operate day-to-day determines the success that you’re going to have later down in your life.”

Although Lavin spoke from his own experiences, he attributed nearly everything he learned and discussed with the group to his mentors and the characteristics that rubbed off on him.

“I try to pass on the things I’ve learned from teachers, coaches, mentors, playground directors, bosses I’ve had, colleagues I’ve had,” Lavin said. “There are certain attributes these people have that kept emerging. … I encourage you to seek out these people and to find that part of your game.”

These attributes, or as he later referred to as “qualities for success,” ranged from passion to gratitude. However, Lavin spent most of his time discussing what his mentor Wooden taught him — listening.

“The skill of listening sounds simple,” he said, “but you learn by listening, not by talking. True listening is when you put yourself in the shoes of someone else and try to see and feel the world from their perspective.”

Lavin also brought another one of his mentors and current sportscasting partner — Brent Musberger — into his speech. According to Lavin, the most important aspect of life to Musberger is the importance of “staying interested.”

“‘Stay interested’ is a simple statement, but it’s so profound,” Lavin said. “It might seem easy, but you have to challenge yourself to stay interested and be fully engaged in what it is you’re doing.”

Several times during his speech, Lavin went back to discuss his mentor at UCLA — Wooden — who, aside from leading by example, gave Lavin the message he carries with him across the country.

“John Wooden has what I call the passion of eternal learning,” he said. “He’s probably influenced more people worldwide as a retired coach and as an inspiration for millions. … That’s one of the most important attributes anyone can have; that passion to keep learning like John Wooden.”

Aside from discussing his life experiences and lessons learned from his many mentors, Lavin also discussed his view of the Big Ten and the Wisconsin men’s basketball team under head coach Bo Ryan, as well as his view on Ryan as a mentor.

“I think it goes back to (Ryan’s) father, who utilized sports to teach us enduring values and important skills that will help people live a good life,” Lavin said in an interview before his speech. “Bo is a natural teacher and coach and motivator. He has an old-school approach with a new presentation.”

Lavin also said he thinks that, even though the Badgers are in the midst of rough stretch of four straight losses, they will return to the NCAA Tournament and be a team that could make some noise in the Big Dance.

“They’re going to continue to get better because their leader — Bo Ryan — is someone who will continue to find ways to enhance the performance level of this team,” Lavin said. “They’re a team that, going into the NCAA Tournament, will probably be a mid-level seed, but will be really dangerous.”

Although he is currently an EPSN analyst, Lavin does have a great deal of experience with adversity. He was fired from his UCLA head coaching position after 12 years at the helm before being offered his current job at ESPN.

However, when given the opportunity to coach again at North Carolina State, he continued his theme of back to Wooden, who once more offered him his words of wisdom.

“When I was looking for answers, it all went back to John Wooden, who told me, ‘You can’t discount or discard your passion, heart or emotion,'” Lavin said. “But he also said, ‘You must make sure your mind and reason are driving your decision process.'”

The Sports Business Club’s kickoff meeting will be Jan. 28 in Grainger Hall at 7 p.m.