Hard work, energy earn Gullikson playing time

MBB_No43_LK
After being a rarely-used option off the bench in the past, senior forward Kevin Gullikson has been getting increased playing time during the 2008-2009 season.

For his first three years as a Badger, forward Kevin Gullikson jumped off the bench in excitement every time UW head coach Bo Ryan told him to get on the floor.

Usually though, every game Gullikson got to play in was virtually notched as a Badger victory.

This year, however, has been a bit different for the longtime Badger benchwarmer.

After three seasons of watching his teammates Marcus Landry and Joe Krabbenhoft — who play the same position — get nearly all of the available minutes, Gullikson has finally been getting in on the action. This time, though, it’s because the Badgers need his presence on the court, and it is not as if he hasn’t deserved the opportunity.

“He’s just working hard,” Landry said. “He’s here early, he’s staying here later. … He’s really worked hard. It’s not just something that was given to him — he’s earned it.”

Though Ryan did not explicitly say so, he clearly agrees with Landry — Ryan awarded Gullikson with his first start as a Badger against Iowa on Jan. 21 after the forward had seen increased playing time over the previous few games.

“It’s fun; I’m having a great time,” Gullikson said. “It’s a little less stressful from a mental standpoint, thinking if I’m going to go in this game or not. It’s a little more relaxed now, but right now I’m just worried about getting things done as a team and trying to get a win on Tuesday.”

Even when he’s not in the starting lineup, Gullikson is still making noise coming off the bench. In Wisconsin’s most recent loss to Illinois, Gullikson stood out, grabbing a difficult offensive rebound before being fouled, giving the Badgers a second-chance opportunity.

“He’s really moving away from the ball well,” Landry said. “His (scoring) action on the court may not be outstanding, but he’s opened up a lot of things for other people. His rebounding and moving without the ball has been great.”

Seemingly, Gullikson has done everything and more of what the UW coaching staff asked of him. As a result, it is no surprise to see him receiving more playing time.

Even though he did not start against Illinois, Ryan made it clear Gullikson would be a part of the Badgers’ scheme against the Illini and against the rest of the opponents the Badgers face this season.

“He’ll be on the floor,” Ryan said. “I don’t worry about who’s starting. He did some really good things, which he has (done).”

Ryan has stuck to his word. Seven games into the Big Ten season, Gullikson has been regularly rotated into the lineup, now seeing over 10 minutes per game in conference play.

Now, with significant playing time a regular occurrence for Gullikson, teams have started to take notice of his presence on the court.

“Over the years, especially last year when I was sitting on the bench, not really being able to play much, I was able to watch things on the court,” Gullikson said. “I’ve always tried to bring energy, but now when I make cuts, it draws attention and opens things up on the other side of the court.”

While Gullikson attributes much of his improvement to competition from his teammates, Landry feels that Gullikson’s energy rubs off on the rest of the team, creating a livelier squad on and off the court.

“He’s coming in, he’s able to move his feet,” Landry said. “It gives us a break and gives us a chance to get down and get our breath back. He comes in and providing energy off the bench that some guys just don’t have.”

Following the loss at Iowa, Ryan talked about Gullikson’s last chance to be a factor in Wisconsin’s game plan and said he was impressed with what Gullikson had done to make it this far.

“As a human being, you have an inner self that says, ‘What do I want, what am I after, what am I trying to accomplish,'” Ryan said. “As coaches, that’s what we’re trying to get out of everybody. Dig deep, keeping working, because you never know what might happen.”

For Gullikson, the hard work has finally paid off, but it won’t be complete without a strong finish as a senior.

“The reality hit that I’m a senior and it’s my last chance to do some things,” Gullikson said. “The three of us seniors have had a great three years before, but I want to add to that and make this a great year too.”