Hawkeyes stun UW in overtime

Wisconsin_Iowa_Basket_Gend
Sophomore forward Jon Leuer attempts to shoot over two Hawkeyes in the Badgers\’ 73-69 overtime defeat.[/media-credit]

IOWA CITY, Iowa — For a team that has not lost to an unranked opponent in over a year, the University of Wisconsin men’s basketball team was expected to walk into Carver-Hawkeye arena in Iowa City with the goal of ending a two-game losing streak.

However, they did not expect a 45-minute grudge match against a team who only has one conference win and ranks No. 10 in the Big Ten in scoring.

After falling to the Hawkeyes 73-69, the Badgers have lost three straight games for the first time since the 2005-06 season. The loss brings their record to 12-6 overall and 3-3 in Big Ten Play.

With a must-win game on the line, Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan decided to go with senior forward Kevin Gullikson instead of Keaton Nankivil, who was averaging 3.1 rebounds per game and 4.3 points per game.

“[Ryan] has given me an opportunity, and hopefully I can take advantage of it and hopefully help the team,” Gullikson said.

After getting the first points of the game, Gullikson was held off the scoreboard but still had two rebounds and two assists. Nankivil had six points and three rebounds.

“Kevin earned the opportunity and did a good job with it,” Ryan said. “I was pleased with his reads and what he did. I was pleased with Keaton and how he came in and got us some buckets.”

As the first half progressed, both teams seemed evenly matched. The largest lead of the half was four points, which Wisconsin took into the locker room with the score of 24-20. Both teams shot under 50 percent from the field and the Badgers failed to hit a 3-point shot before halftime, going 0-for-7 from beyond the arc.

Going into the second half, the UW defense held Iowa without a point from 7:24 left in the first half until Hawkeye forward David Palmer hit a 3-point shot 49 seconds into the second half. After that shot, Palmer went 4-for-6 from the field, including two 3-pointers, to finish the half with 13 points and 21 points for the game.

Down the stretch, however, it was the Hawkeyes who took advantage of the Badgers’ foul trouble. Iowa entered the bonus with 9:24 left to go in the game. Both Wisconsin forward Jon Leuer and forward Joe Krabbenhoft fouled out of the game. During the second half, Iowa went 21-of-27 from the line, shooting 77.8 percent.

“I thought it was a great team effort,” Iowa head coach Todd Lickliter said. “We showed a lot of resolve. There were some terrific plays. A lot of team plays, but there were a lot of individual efforts which were contagious.”

With a 49-47 lead with 3:25 left to go in the game, Wisconsin freshman guard Jordan Taylor stole the ball and went for a layup, which was blocked by Iowa forward Aaron Fuller. Ryan did not agree with the call and the bench was given a technical foul, which led to the game being tied 49-49 after two Iowa free throws.

“I didn’t jump up, I didn’t get out of the box, I didn’t do anything,” Ryan said. “I just signaled to my coaches and pointed back, saying, ‘Can you believe he wasn’t fouled?’ I will go to bat for a player in that situation any time.”

After the technical, Iowa was able to build a 56-51 lead with 43 seconds left in the game. However, Wisconsin was able to rally back, capped off by a buzzer-beating three by Taylor.

As overtime ensued, Ryan played Taylor rather than starting guard Trevon Hughes, who finished the game with 10 points, but also had three turnovers. It was Taylor’s ability to keep the ball in the Badgers’ hands that kept him on the floor.

However, during overtime, Wisconsin was not able to slow down the Hawkeye offense, which went 3-for-3 from the floor and 2-for-2 from 3-point range. The Badgers just went 3-for-9 from the field in extra time and only hit one 3-point shot.

“Every time we play Iowa, it’s a tough game,” Wisconsin guard and former Iowa Mr. Basketball Jason Bohannon said. “They run a good offense and look for good shots, but it’s the same as us. We all look for good shots and we play tough defense also. But, it’s going to be a low possession game, and in a low-possession game, you have to capitalize on the opportunities you have.”