Football: Wisconsin’s legendary history of walk-on stars

Head coach Jim Leonhard ranks as one of many walk-ons to have notable success within Wisconsin football team
Senior receiver Jared Abbrederis is just the latest in a line of impressive walk-on stories at Wisconsin.

Not many athletes have taken the unconventional path and succeeded like the University of Wisconsin head coach of football, Jim Leonhard. 

After not receiving a single Division I scholarship out of high school, Leonhard decided to walk on to the Wisconsin football team and quickly became one of the premier defensive backs in the country. During his four year tenure with the Badgers, Leonhard brought home three All-American awards, totaled 21 interceptions — tied for the most in school history —and made 281 tackles. 

As an undersized safety standing at just 5-foot-8, Leonhard wasn’t considered a top prospect and was not selected in the 2005 NFL draft. Defying the odds seemed to be Leonhard’s specialty, ending up as the only undrafted rookie on the roster for the Buffalo Bills in the 2005 season.

Leonhard went on to play ten years in the NFL, most notably headlining the incredible 2009 New York Jets’ secondary alongside Darrelle Revis. He totaled 428 tackles and 14 interceptions over his career and joined the Wisconsin Badgers coaching staff shortly after his retirement in 2014. 

Football: Jim Leonhard’s path to head coach, possible future as full-time coach

Leonhard’s story isn’t a common feat. Only a few other players in Wisconsin history have been able to replicate Leonhard’s success as a walk-on. Let’s take a look at some of the players who were able to defy the odds and make a huge impact on the program. 

Most notably among these walk-ons is superstar defensive end J.J. Watt. Coming out of Pewaukee High School as a 2-star recruit, Watt spent his first college season at Central Michigan as a tight end. He only had eight receptions and decided to transfer to Wisconsin and try to walk onto the team as a defensive end.

After making the team and redshirting his first year, Watt quickly became one of the best players in college football. His 2010 season is one of the best from any Badger ever, posting 62 tackles, 21 tackles for loss and seven sacks, en route to being drafted 11th overall in 2011. He immediately became one of the best players in the NFL and won three Defensive Player of the Year awards between 2012-2015. It can be safely said that he is a first ballot Hall of Famer. 

Wisconsin’s NIL movement takes flight to support student athletes in navigating financial endeavors

Another name that’s still familiar is former wide receiver Jared Abbrederis. Coming out of Wautoma High School, he successfully walked on to the team as a quarterback. He converted to wide receiver before playing his first game in 2010, where he became an important part of the team and was awarded a member of the Freshman All-Big Ten team.

Over the next three years, Abbrederis put together some of the most memorable performances in school history. In 2013, he caught 10 passes for 207 yards in a historic showing against Ohio State and set the Rose Bowl record of 348 all-purpose yards the year before. He totaled a school record of 202 receptions and had 3,140 receiving yards in his career, trailing only Lee Evans for the most yards in Wisconsin history. He was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. 

One of the best known linemen in Badger history is former walk-on right tackle Mark Tauscher. Tauscher made the team as a walk-on in 1995 and played his first two seasons sparingly. Finally receiving a starting opportunity in 1999, he starred as one of the five main contributors in running back Ron Dayne’s Heisman Trophy winning season. He was drafted in the seventh round of the 2000 NFL Draft by the Packers and spent his entire 11-year career with the team. He is now a member of the Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame. 

International player spotlight: Aron Eli Saevarsson

On the team now, there is standout safety John Torchio. He’s been arguably the best defensive player on the team this season, with 42 total tackles and five interceptions already, one being a 100-yard pick-six vs. Illinois State. Torchio has developed into one of the best safeties in the Big Ten and has helped to anchor the defensive unit as a more experienced member of the team.