As COVID-19 infection rates continue to climb in Wisconsin, the University of Wisconsin announced Wednesday night that it will be adding safety regulations to the Badger home opener Oct. 24 against Illinois.

The primary change here is that parents and other family members of players will no longer be allowed to attend games. The move limits attendance to essential personnel such as players and coaches, essential public safety professionals, stadium operations personnel and a limited number of media members. 

UW names USWNT soccer player Rose Lavelle as Fall 2020 commencement speakerThis Thursday, the University of Wisconsin announced UW alumna and U.S. Women’s National Team soccer player Rose Lavelle will speak Read…

“I’ve said that our fans should think about all of our football games as away games this year,” UW Chancellor Rebecca Blank said. “We’re asking fans in Madison to follow public health guidelines and avoid gatherings with anyone outside their household. We’re asking our fans around the state to watch the games at home.”

Local Madisonians and Badgers faithful will have to embrace a different viewing experience from the ones they’ve grown accustomed to in the past. Game days in 2020 will look staunchly different in the place once dubbed the best college football town in America.

Forever forward: How UW Marching Band resumes practice in fall of COVIDAs students arrive for classes for what will be a most unusual fall semester, a sorely missed sound is returning Read…

In addition to previous health precautions taken, here are some key regulations that will be enforced, per the University

Katie Hardie

The University has not released a statement if this will be the protocol for the remainder of the season. Per Johns Hopkins University, the state of Wisconsin currently has the second highest positive COVID-19 test rate in the country at 19.6%.