Swimming: Six Badgers to represent UW at the first-ever USA College Challenge

Three from the No. 13 Wisconsin women’s team and three from the No. 17 men’s team in Indianapolis from Nov. 12-13
Jeff Miller/ UW Communications

The University of Wisconsin No. 13 women’s and No. 17 men’s swimming teams will collectively send six swimmers to the first inaugural USA College Challenge Nov. 12-13 in Indianapolis.

Chase Kinney, Beata Nelson and Cierra Runge from the women’s side and Cannon Clifton, Matt Hutchins and Brett Pinfold from the men’s team will represent the Big Ten conference at the all-star event with a chance to raise the standard of Wisconsin swimming to a national level. Runge, a gold medalist and the headliner for the Badgers, is one of four other former Rio Olympic athletes representing the Big Ten who will attend the event.

Aside from Runge, the five other Wisconsin swimmers will look to continue their early success and make even more of a name for themselves over the weekend. Joining Runge on the women’s side is Kinney, a two-time first-team All Big Ten winner and holder of five conference championships. Nelson also looks to have an impact, already winning 12 top-three finishes and taking home four in the early year, earning her the Big Ten Freshman of the Week against No. 4 North Carolina State University.

UW student athlete swims toward Rio Olympics

The men’s team boasts two standouts heading to Indianapolis in Hutchins, Clifton and Pinfold. Hutchins, Big Ten Swimmer of the year one season ago, is one of the most decorated men’s swimmers in school history, holding the record for fastest 500- and 1650-yard freestyle in his third and sixth place awards at the National Collegiate Athletic Association tournament.

Clifton has racked up six school records and five honorable All-American mentions during his time in Madison, on top of two second team All Big Ten honors and three top 10 finishes.

Pinfold also recorded three top 10 finishes at the Big Ten championships and is a second-team All Big Ten selection. Pinfold tops off Wisconsin’s roster at the Challenge as honorable mention All-American and will hope to establish himself further in front of the nation’s best.

Both teams have had solid seasons on top of brutal non-conference and conference schedules, hoping to continue with strong individual performances to push the Badgers going forward.

The meets will air live online and on the BTN2Go app on delay at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. CT Saturday and Sunday. The Big Ten Network will also televise both events Saturday.