Men’s tennis: Badgers look to bounce back at home

After losing two matches last weekend, Wisconsin returns home against Michigan State, Michigan
Jason Chan

No. 44 University of Wisconsin men’s tennis returns home this weekend to face both Michigan and Michigan State after dropping consecutive matches last weekend.

The two losses snapped a seven-match win streak for the Badgers (13-3 overall, 3-2 Big Ten), who will be looking to get back on track at Nielsen Tennis Center where they’re 9-1 this season. That single loss came in a hard-fought match against No. 8 TCU, solidifying Nielsen as a bastion for Wisconsin this season.

While Michigan State (10-12 overall, 0-5 Big Ten) will not present much of a threat, No. 20 Michigan (15-4 overall, 4-1 Big Ten) has all the makings of a tough match at hand for the Badgers.

Michigan State — Friday

The Spartans have not fared well this season and are in the midst of a six-match losing streak. What’s even worse for the team is that in Big Ten-individual play, only a single player has won a match — Michael Dube defeated Indiana’s Daniel Bednarczyk (3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-6)) last weekend during a 6-1 loss.

Michigan State also lost six matches this season without registering a single point, leaving them winless against ranked teams.

Against a Wisconsin team that has beaten some of the best talent in the country, things don’t look too bright for Michigan State.

Michigan — Sunday 12 p.m.

Two Wolverines are ranked singles players, No. 81 Jathan Malik and No. 104 Alex Knight, and the doubles pairing of Knight/Runhao Hua is No. 74 in the country.

That talent hasn’t been wasted either, thanks to the help of the bottom of Michigan’s lineup. Combined, the fourth through sixth spots have gone 43-9. In fact, the only spot that has a losing record is the first singles spot.

Thanks to the team’s well-roundedness, Michigan registered wins over No. 22 Tulsa, No. 25 Penn State and No. 25 Duke.

After winning five of their last six games — their single loss came against No. 4 Ohio State — Michigan will be a tough opponent for Wisconsin, even with home court advantage.