Women’s basketball: Wisconsin looks to notch second straight home win

Badgers square-off against last place Illinois Wednesday

After a two-game road trip that saw the Wisconsin women’s basketball team come up empty handed, the Badgers (7-17, 3-11) return to the Kohl Center Wednesday to face Illinois (8-17- 1-13).

The Badgers will be looking to build off their momentum from last week’s upset victory over Purdue and avenge their early season loss in Urbana-Champaign. Since then, the Fighting Illini are winless in conference and hungry for a chance to sweep the Badgers on the season.

Last time out

UW’s most recent game was a road loss to Indiana last week. The Badgers led at the half and were positioned to steal a game in Assembly Hall before the Hoosiers outscored the Badgers by 18 in the second half. Dakota Whyte notched 16 points and Michala Johnson matched her scoring output while adding 10 rebounds for her third straight double double. Unfortunately, the Badgers lacked much else in the offensive department and did not have enough firepower to win on the road.

Wisconsin’s keys to victory

Continue to ride Johnson: The 6th year senior has showed the world why she was once a highly touted recruit as she has averaged 16.7 points, 12 rebounds and 1.7 blocks while shooting above 50 percent from the field.

For the Badgers to defeat Illinois, they will need to feed Johnson early and often and allow her to set up a presence in the post to draw in the Illinois defenders and free up space for the Badger shooters. Johnson has a big opportunity to finish the season strong and is aiming for her fourth straight double double Wednesday.

Get Nicole Bauman back on track: Wisconsin’s leading scorer has played well below her standard the last few games and was held to nine points on 3-15 three point shooting during the team’s road trip last week. For the Badgers to get their fourth conference win, Bauman will need to find her stroke to extend the defense and get back to her 16 points per game average.

Opposing player to watch: Sophomore center Chatrice White

White has been one of the lone bright spots for Illinois this season. The sophomore from Shelby, Nebraska, is leading the team with 18 points and 9.6 rebounds and is second on the team in minutes. White is primed to be one of the best centers in the league over the next few years, and the Badgers will be best served to get her in foul trouble early so she does not wreck havoc in the paint.

In the team’s first meeting, she had 16 points and 11 rebounds en route to the Fighting Illini’s lone Big Ten victory.