Football Notebook: Center Dan Voltz done for season with right knee injury

Wide receiver Rob Wheelwright to miss ‘considerable time,’ as uncertainty over Clement continues
Dan+Voltz+%2870%29+protects+Joel+Stave+from+the+Iowa+pass+rush+earlier+this+season.+
Dan Voltz (70) protects Joel Stave from the Iowa pass rush earlier this season.

The mantra of the Wisconsin football team’s offensive line has been “next man up” for the entire 2015 season.

The phrase has never held more meaning than when UW head coach Paul Chryst confirmed Monday starting center Dan Voltz would miss the remainder of the season.

Chryst did not know the specifics of the injury, but said he’d be out for a lengthy period of time, even for the bowl game.

“Dan meant a lot to this team and certainly the offensive line,” Chryst said.

Voltz left the Badgers’ 24-13 win at Illinois Saturday after his right leg gave out from underneath him inside the red zone.

Redshirt freshman Michael Deiter slid inside from left guard to Voltz’s spot, redshirt freshman Micah Kapoi moved from right guard to left guard and Walker Williams came off the bench take Kapoi’s place.

On the next play from scrimmage following Voltz’s injury, freshman running back Alec Ingold scored a touchdown through the left side to put the Badgers up 17-13. Kapoi sealed his block and Williams had a stong pull to clear the lane to the end zone.

In addition to Voltz’s season ending, Chryst said he doesn’t expect to see redshirt freshman Hayden Biegel or senior Ray Ball play again this year.

Wheels come off

Alex Erickson’s 56-yard gain on an end-around down the left sideline came at a price.

Junior wide receiver Robert Wheelwright, who held his block downfield to aid Erickson’s rush, got clipped by an Illini defender and left the game.

Chryst announced Monday there was an “outside chance” he could return toward the end of the season.

Once again, Chryst was vague regarding the nature of Wheelwright’s injury, but said it was his left leg.

“I feel bad for Rob,” Chryst said. “He was playing really good football.”

Meyer named Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week

Drew Meyer had a big day against Illinois, punting the ball more than 50 yards three times and pinning the Illini inside their own 20-yard line three times.

Meyer’s boot, as well as a solid coverage plan, allowed Wisconsin to win the field position battle, Chryst said.

“I thought we had a good plan for it and the guys understood it,” Chryst said. “And then Drew did a nice job, so that was good.”

Clement doesn’t go to Illinois

When Corey Clement spoke with reporters last Tuesday for the first time since his sports hernia surgery, he was confident he would travel to Illinois with the team.

As it would turn out, Clement did not make the trip with the rest of the Badgers. Chryst said it simply came down to the fact Clement wasn’t game-ready.

Football: Corey Clement says status still unknown for Saturday

“We will always travel guys that can play, and you know, where he was at, he wasn’t going to be ready to play the game,” Chryst said. “So we will see what this week brings.”

Stave still in concussion protocol

Joel Stave took a hard hit Saturday and suffered a concussion, but he would later make his way back to the field.

That’s because Stave initially passed the team’s concussion protocol, and when Chryst asked Stave if he was ready to go, the fifth-year quarterback said yes.

It later became clear Stave wasn’t all right, so his day ended shortly thereafter. Now, Stave is still in the concussion protocol, but Chryst said he’s confident Stave will play Saturday.

“He was up [in the football office] yesterday and he’s good,” Chryst said.

Stave is still listed as the starter on UW’s depth chart. Teammates Michael Caputo and Alex Erickson have gone through the same protocol after suffering concussions and have played the next week.